Mobile Register - 06/03/01
Keep Hope Alive
by CHRIS DYAS
Special to the Register

As a physician who's also the father of a son with Type I diabetes,
I know from professional and personal experience what it's like to
struggle with an incurable disease.

Every day at our house, my son takes insulin shots and has to prick
a finger four or five times to test his blood-sugar level. That adds up
to more than 2,500 shots and finger sticks for my son every year,
a routine that will continue for the rest of his life unless we find
a cure for diabetes.

Without a cure, he and other people with diabetes will also be at risk
for kidney failure, blindness, circulatory failure, the early loss of limbs,
and a shorter life expectancy.

You can imagine how excited I was when I learned last year about
breakthrough medical research on human stem cells, which could
speed the search for a cure for my son and others like him. That
excitement, however, has changed to worry.

Politics | Forum
In the next few weeks, President Bush faces an important decision
on whether to continue federal funding for stem-cell research.
I'm worried because a great deal of confusion and controversy has
grown up around stem cells.

As a Republican, a doctor and concerned father, I hope President
Bush will take a dispassionate look at the facts, and then move
forward with federal support.

Stem cells are specialized cells that can come from three sources:
adults, fetal tissue or surplus fertilized eggs created by couples at
fertility clinics. In 1998, scientists learned that stem cells derived
from leftover fertilized eggs can grow into any tissue or organ in
the body.

These stem cells could replace defective or missing cells, which
means they could lead to dramatic new treatments or even cures
for diseases such as Alzheimer's, cancer, Parkinson's, juvenile
diabetes, heart disease and spinal cord injuries.

However, this research has become controversial because some
people believe that using fertilized eggs for research violates
right-to-life principles. In my view, however, this kind of
stem-cell research seems more analogous to organ and tissue
donation.

It's important to keep in mind that, under National Institutes
of Health guidelines, the stem cells that could most help my son
would be obtained from frozen fertilized eggs that are left over
after a couple completes an infertility treatment called "in vitro
fertilization." Known as IVF, this treatment can produce many
excess eggs.

There are already about 100,000 frozen fertilized eggs in IVF
clinics. Since almost all of them are to be disposed of or remain
frozen forever, I believe the moral choice is to use them to save
lives.

The facts are that the research would use only a small fraction
of the now-frozen eggs, all of which would be donated with the
informed consent of IVF couples. Moreover, if federal funding
were banned, the strict NIH regulations and oversight that
prevent ethical abuses would be gone, too.

Pro-life Republicans - including our own Rep. Sonny Callahan,
former Sen. Connie Mack, R-Fla., and Sen. Gordon Smith,
R-Oregon, support public funding for stem-cell research using
excess fertilized eggs from fertility clinics. They were recently
joined by 80 Nobel laureates, who wrote to President Bush.

In their letter to the president, the laureates also addressed some
of the confusion raised by recent news reports about
"breakthroughs" in research with adult cells. The Nobel winners
said it is much too early to tell whether stem cells taken from adults
have the same potential as stem cells from fertilized eggs.

More recently, news articles about stem cells in human fat have
caused a stir. But the research studies behind the news reports
make clear that scientists don't yet have conclusive proof that fat
tissue really does contain stem cells.

The American public and a wide spectrum of religious believers
do not view stem-cell research as a pro-lifecompassionate
conservative." Federal support for stem-cell research is a matter
of life and death for my family and millions of others.

I hope that President Bush will show his compassion by allowing
federal funding for responsible and ethical research on human
embryonic stem cells.

Chris Dyas, M.D., a surgeon practicing in Mobile, is president
of the Central Gulf Coast Chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes
Research Foundation.

Readers may contact him via e-mail at [log in to unmask]

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/?Jun2001/3-a448675a.html