Thursday, 05/31/01
Rochelle discloses he has Parkinson's
By BONNA de la CRUZ
Staff Writer
Sen. Bob Rochelle, the state Senate speaker pro tem and leading
advocate for a state income tax, has disclosed to colleagues that
he has Parkinson's disease.

''Even though I have been given this diagnosis, I will continue
to represent my constituents and fight for what is right for them
and the state of Tennessee,'' Rochelle wrote in a letter to the
other 32 senators.

In the letter, Rochelle, the second-highest ranking member of the
Senate, said he is in the early stages of Parkinson's disease,
a slowly progressive, neurodegenerative disease that causes
a loss of muscle control.

Rochelle, 55, said he had noticed tremors in his right arm over the
past several years.

A Democrat who represents Wilson, Trousdale and Smith counties
and a part of Davidson County, Rochelle has served in the Senate
since 1983 and is considered one of the state's most powerful
lawmakers.

''With proper medication, I should be able to keep it under control
for quite some time,'' the letter said.

Rochelle pointed to former U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno,
now a possible candidate for governor in Florida, and actor
Michael J. Fox as examples of people who have shown that
the disease is manageable.

Rochelle's term expires after next year, and he has said he would
assess whether to seek re-election closer to that time.

''I look forward to continuing my service with Bob as he fights
this illness and proves he is the survivor that I know him to be,''
said Sen. Joe Haynes, D-Goodlettsville, Democratic Caucus
chairman.

http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/01/04/05381110.shtml?Element_ID=5381110

********