Hi Rayilyn,  Hilary and many more...

I really liked what Hilary had to say today
about not sugar-coating PD.  I am 16 years
along the Parkinson's path, and remain
a "mere mortal" .

Tomorrow, we open the long-awaited
Maine PD Information and Referral
Center, out in the suburb of Scarborough.
PWP's will dress up for the occasion. I would guess that
we mortals will probably get some local media attention.

I'm always astonished to learn that most people
do not realize that PD is an ordeal, not just
something you live with.  I have terrible muscle pain,
which I am sure is quite commonly borne by
PWP's as soon as our dopamine level drops.

My impression is that  pain is not yet seen as a major
cause of the exhaustion we go through,  by the
average public bystander.  Pain management is crucial
to me, and if I mention it, much more empathy and bonding
with me, and considerable support , is usually offered.

I think that the public perception  of the disease only changes
as more and more of us PWP'S go on television and radio,
or are seen on videotapes, home movies, and other films.

I also think that neurologists have a specific
role to play in public education.  Perhaps if
more of us "ordinary"  WP's were on center
stage at the Amer. Acad. of Neurologists
annual meetings, this would help.

Also, if arrangements can be made with
the stars to make it more possible to
see "mere mortals " on stage with them,
public awareness would advance quickly.

Just a few coastal ramblings from Mainae,
where it is cold, rainy and Novemberish today.

Ivan