Dear Listfriends,
Below is a request from Dr. Lieberman, who generously gives of his time
to answer questions on the NPF website, under "Ask Dr. Lieberman." Those
of you who live in Florida may wish to read and support Dr. Lieberman.
Best,
Kathrynne
 The National Parkinson Foundation secured a three year
grant from
the State of Florida.  The grant, $750,000 a year funds
National Parkinson Foundation Care Centers in  Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm
Beach, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tallahassee, Sarasota, Naples, Tampa, and
Port Charlotte.  The money pays the salaries of nurse's who provide
information, teaching, and counseling to the 56,000 people with
Parkinson disease, their spouses, caregivers, families, and friends.
The services, given free of charge to  people with Parkinson is, in many
ways, comparable to the advice all of you  receive ASKTHEDOCTOR.  the
difference is the advice is face to face and not over the internet.
      In each of the past 3 years the Legislature, the House and Senate
of Florida, has approved the program.  In 2 of the last 3 years the
Governor, Jeb Bush, has approved the program.  This year, our vibrations
hint the Governor, as a cost cutting measure, will veto
this item:
$750,000 in a budget of $50,000,000,000!
      We ask all residents who live in Florida to write
Governor Jeb Bush and ask him NOT to veto the program.   A sample
letter:

       Governor Jeb Bush
       Executive Office of the Governor
       The Capitol
       Tallahassee  Florida 32399
Sample:
      I am a resident of Florida.  I (or a family member or
friend) has Parkinson disease.  I ask that you approve the National
Parkinson Foundation Care Center program in Florida.  Please do NOT
veto this program.

       This is a campaign we must win.  Everyone with
Parkinson knows we need information and this information is not readily
available.  We think this is an opportune time to petition Governor
Bush. Janet Reno a person with Parkinson is thinking of running for
goveernor against Bush. We believe that if enough people with Parkinson
write to Governor Bush he will recognize that the community of Parkinson
people cannot be ignored.

        The Governor can be e-mailed:

     Please Write and E-mail the Governor
      abe lieberman

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease" & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease," J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/