To the List:

Following is an excerpt from a response by Senator Robert G. Torricelli (NJ)
re a letter asking him to sign on to S. 723.  He did not commit.

"In the coming months, I hope to work with my colleagues to achieve a
thorough debate of the effect that a ban would have on medical research.
While there are clear ethical concerns that need to be addressed, embryo
research presents the possibility for tremendous breakthroughs in
healthcare.  I am concerned that a ban on the use of embryos would unduly
restrict research that will someday soon benefit our deadliest diseases."

Dolores Gross