Associated Press  -  June 11, 2001
Stem Cell Research Debated
By LAURA MECKLER
Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON (AP)--Health and Human Services Secretary
Tommy Thompson is looking for a compromise on the thorny
issue of whether to allow federal financing of promising research
that uses stem cells derived from embryos.

Thompson and President Bush ``hope to come to a place that
is a unifying position,'' HHS spokesman Campbell Gardett said
Monday.

Thompson, who has praised groundbreaking stem cell research
being conducted in his home state of Wisconsin, has also
suggested that he is troubled by a federal law that some say
prohibits HHS from paying for it.

Congress has barred federal money for research that destroys
embryos, but the Clinton administration concluded that the
National Institutes of Health could pay for research using cells
that had been extracted with private money.

Stem cells are building blocks for all human tissue. The most
useful cells are derived from embryos discarded at fertility
clinics, and some abortion opponents say it is wrong to use
them for research.

Research proponents say the embryos are being destroyed
anyway and that using them could lead to revolutionary
treatments for Alzheimer's, diabetes and other diseases.

The devisive debate has dogged Thompson since his
confirmation hearings earlier this year.

Asked about the issue during an interview Monday with
The Washington Post, Thompson said he was looking for
a compromise that would allow the research to continue
``with some modifications.''

``We're looking at the legal implications of it, the ethical
questions and of course the political questions and the
scientific ones,'' he told the Post, according to an account
posted on the newspaper's Web site.

Asked about possible compromise approaches, Thompson
said: ``Everything is on the table.'' He promised a decision
by late June or early July.

Spokesman Gardett emphasized that the secretary did not
commit himself to any course of action.

``There's a lot of real, tremendous successes that can be had
with stem cell research,'' Thompson told the Post. ``We have
to decide, first of all, whether the law allows any kind of federal
dollars to go into stem cells that are derived from an embryo.
That's a big question because the law is fairly specific.

``Second thing, there are some ethical questions, and some
scientific questions. I am fairly confident that we will come
up with a plan that takes all of these matters into consideration.''

AP-NY-06-11-01 2336EDT

http://www.accesswaco.com/shared/news/ap/ap_story.html/Washington/AP.V7280.AP-Thompson-Stem-C.html

********