Hi Beverly.

I'm glad to hear you too are interested in "our stories".  It sounds like we
have some things in common, other than what I prefer to call
My-Opportunity-From-The-Universe-to-Grow-Bigtime!  This way of referring to
PD is so much better for ME in that it allows me to focus on the positive
gifts as opposed to feeling dis-eased...

I too am 49, single, and hope to finish my PhD (forest ecology) as "soon as
possible".  I too am self-employed and work from my home, love to write
(it's a big part of my work), live life ABSOLUTELY as fully as possible,
witness my Opportunity, turn ever and always to my faith, and definitely
share the joy!

Onset for me was in 1993, in the middle of my dissertation research.
Diagnosis didn't come until 5 years later when I could barely walk; the docs
(even at prestigious medical centers here in the NW) were telling me it was
psychosomatic...  The diagnosing neurologist in 1998 told me that he felt it
was because "they" didn't like having an articulate, knowledgeable woman who
could recite in perfect sequence the onset of symptoms, that "they" failed
to diagnose.  I had every symptom in the book, and then some!  Further,
whenever "they" offered a tentative diagnosis I would ask them how we were
going to test that hypothesis.  "They" labeled me as a "hysterical,
over-involved woman" in order to hide their ignorance.  Quite a story...

Stories are very important.  Would you like to co-author a proposal with me
to compile them?  How about we submit it to MJ Fox Foundation?  All proceeds
to go to education, research, etc., assuming the grant covers our time and
expenses.  Maybe a teeny royalty to the compilers, in the event either or
both of us needs some income (that is the case for me at present, but I hope
it will change soon... lots of irons in the fire!).  Two heads are better
than one, and it sounds like our two heads are in similar places...

How about our bodies?  I'm on the central Oregon coast.  Where are you?

To the folks on the listserver, whatcha think?  Will you write your stories
and send them to us, allowing us to select from them the best that we are
able to, so as to present the most eloquent and compelling Faces of
Parkinson's?  We will do well by you.  I can promise that from myself, and
from what Beverly has said of herself, I'm sure she's in the same category.

As before, if there are a lot of replies to this I (we?) may need to reply
generically...  please understand.

I'd like to see the stories from the caregivers also.  You know, both
'sides', yin & yang, etc. etc. etc., otherwise affectionately referred to as
the-kit-and-the-caboodle OR the-whole-nine-yards, and somewhat more
restrictively in academic circles or other bastions of intellectual
proclivity...  a holistic perspective.

Let's hear what you have to say, and if you're willing to write your
stories!!

Be well,

Marla

Marla L. Gillham