     Is Kindness helping our Cause?

by Anne Rutherford.     Feb 2001  It appeared first in the Newfoundland
Parkinson News, our provincial newsletter.

When we put a good face on Parkinson's, because we don't want to be
labeled a whiner, are we really making things worse?

When we advise a Young Onset Parkinson Person (YOPP) not to attend a
Parkinson group, because of what they may see, are we just showing our
own fears?

When we hide at home, avoiding new places and new people, are we letting

Parkinson's win by default?

In a recent survey more than 90%  recognized Parkinson's as a medical
condition.    Great!!

However fewer than 10% of those interviewed were aware of how
debilitating  Parkinson symptoms can be.

Are people with Parkinson's  invisible?  Well, if you can't talk and
can't move,  you might as well not be there.

Sudden immobility would be noticed but Parkinson's sneaks up when you
are not looking and takes away your ability to communicate.  Handwriting

and speech are affected. Then facial expression disappears.......even a
smile is too difficult.  Driving is no longer safe as vision and
reaction time deteriorate. Aches and pains, cramps and falls keep you
close to home.

You have become an invisible person.

Are we watering down the message out of consideration for the YOPPs?  I
think we are.

Speaking as a former YOPP  I think we should tell it like it is.  Now.

[...]

Just a comment
Anne Rutherford, Newfoundland