Greg,

   I hope you have everyone's respect--you deserve it,  brother!

   You should e-mail what you wrote to the most powerful people in
Washington
that you have access to at this time.  Your writing is compelling.  It is
frightening.
Greg, your story ought to get the media talking.  I would be more than
glad to join
with you  and support you in a press conference, if that would help end
the suffering.

How about this idea, folks:  let's choose a day and set up
An International Day of Parkinsonian Press Conferences,
called "TELL IT LIKE IT IS!"

Coordinated multiple press conferences with  audiences
to PUSH for the cure of PD would be the plan.

Here is one of the awful things I would tell the world about the PD
battle I'm in.

 I am a 51-year old man, always trying to salvage life from scraps.  I am
alone, and one
step from a nursing home.  Out and about, I have been questioned three
times,
as if I were a drunk.  My emotions are right under the surface.

I can never be sure from one day to the next how I will survive. I am
called a younger, or
"Young Onset" PWP,.  In reality, I am rapidly aging and forever in battle
gear, now in my 16th year up
against the PD monster .

Although my mental faculties, praise be to God, are virtually perfect, I
could  still
become Jonah,  as PD will swallow me  right up,  if I'm not on alert
mode.

I have paralysis - a word EVERYONE understands.  I am lucky if I get to
enjoy slow movement, or bradykinesia.  I am totally frozen, like a
statue, at times.
It is indescribably difficult to be in solitary confinement by choice,
waiting, waiting,
laying on a daybed upstairs, out of the view of house visitors who would
hardly
understand, secluded, waiting  for movement to return, sweating  or
shivering, unable to get up.
This happens to me daily, whenever a dose of medications wears off too
suddenly.

Plus,  pins and needles pierce my left leg with sharp pains at many
sites on my leg, in waves, all at the same time. This sensation is more
painful than the
rush of pain you get if you brush your finger against a live electric
wire.

I empathize and agree with you, Greg-- and with Anne Rutherford----let's
TELL IT LIKE IT IS.

PD  is intolerable; only the rare few survive even partially intact.

To focus on Hollywood and  its glamorous lives is distracting, but at
least for
me. not as compelling as the stories of ordinary PWP's,  TELLING IT like
it
really is.

 No rose-colored glasses for me!

Ivan Suzman
Portland Maine's other PIEN  correspondent

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:10:51 -0000 "Gregory E. Leeman"
<[log in to unmask]> writes, in part:

> Dear Listmembers:
>
> Sometimes I feel like such a negative person.  My PD is progressing
> rapidly,
> my voice barely audible. Manic mood swings are taking away what
> little
> personality I have left. Always battling with mental illnesses and
> the awful
> debilitating paranoia and hallucinations.

(CUT)