Just a few nights ago, I stopped in at my old stompin’ grounds-

the PWP dumpster gang chatroom for some news and for some

much needed relaxation. The dumpster gang hideout has

always been my refuge from the trials of everyday life with

PD. There I can usually find a friendly face & grin from folks

who are dealing with the same stuff that I’m going thru. It

makes everything more bearable just to know that we are not

alone on this train track that we’ve been switched to! What I

found was a bunch of newbies (for those of you unfamiliar with

computer-ez-a newbie is a person who is either new to

computer skills or, in our case, new to the diagnosis of

Parkinson’s Disease), all of them wailing and whining about the

unfairness of the situation and how much they either hated the

circumstances that forced them to change their lives or were

in denial ...that kind of shell-shock that hits you when you say “I

haven’t done anything bad enough to deserve this!” And they

would be right! No one deserves this disease nor is it a

punishment for past sins.  It’s just life.

But when I began talking about what an exiting time that it is to

have PD and how rewarding my life is, I was met with derision

and an abject refusal to look on the bright side. I was asked

who the hell I thought I was and what were my credentials to

join this not-so-exclusive club------and I realized just how

blessed & lucky I was to have made the online friends that I

have made. To have already experienced the pain and the

denial; to have already had the strength to work thru all of the

negative and made my somewhat uneasy peace with this

Parkinson’s disease. To use Sidney Dorros’ favorite phrase:

“To accommodate but never surrender!!”

There, of course, is no easy way to get thru this process of

discovering life after your diagnosis and it would be impossible

without the love and support that I have gotten from a thousand

different people-all of you here have made an enormous impact

on my life and I thank each of you from the bottom of my heart.

I cannot begin to think of life lived without the special people

who are my guiding lights and my pillars of strength-without the

Parkinson Alliance and PLWP and the Dumpster Gang-all of the

many friends who enable me to get out of day and to face each

day with renewed hope and energy; both online and off.

My special thanks to Peggy Willocks of Tennessee for

nominating me for this award (I love you pretty peg!!) and to all

of those who sent in letters supporting that nomination and

also to my partner & my best friend on the internet Dennis

Greene (of Perth, Australia)-I  couldn’t  have done this without

his encouragement and his brilliance lighting the way.

I would next like to acknowledge the unstoppable & the never

ending source of my strength and love ----my dear family. For it

is only through the generosity of spirit and the kindness of

heart of my husband, Stan, my darling children, Ali & Mitch, my

sainted mother, Norma Blessington, and my sisters and

brothers and their families that I am able to devote so much of

my time & energies to what has become my passion and my

ministry.

And I humbly thank God  & also my patron saint-Joan of Arc

For showing me the way to best use the gifts that God has so

graciously given me to serve Him and His people.

Thank you, Donna Dorros, for this award. Please know how

much this means to me and please know that the courageous

spirit of your husband, Sidney Dorros will live on through my

actions and my attitude all the rest of my life.

Now, I can’t wait to have the time to get back to the chatroom

with my message of hope and redemption!

--
Joan E. Blessington Snyder     49/11
http://www.geocities.com/joanbsnyder/