Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:33:25 -0500
From: Joan Snyder
Subject: Joan Snyder's acceptance speech: the Sidney Dorros Memorial Award

Just a few nights ago, I stopped in at my old stompin’ grounds - the PWP
Dumpster Gang chatroom for some news and for some much needed relaxation.

The Dumpster Gang hideout has always been my refuge from the trials of
everyday life with PD. There I can usually find a friendly face and grin
from folks who are dealing with the same stuff that I’m going through. It
makes everything more bearable just to know that we are not alone on this
train track that we’ve been switched to!

What I found was a bunch of newbies (for those of you unfamiliar with
computer-eze - a newbie is a person who is either new to computer skills
or, in our case, new to the diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease), all of them
wailing and whining about the unfairness of the situation and how much they
either hated the circumstances that forced them to change their lives or
were in denial ... that kind of shell-shock that hits you when you say "I
haven’t done anything bad enough to deserve this!"

And they would be right! No one deserves this disease nor is it a
punishment for past sins. It’s just life.

But when I began talking about what an exciting time that it is to have PD
and how rewarding my life is, I was met with derision and an abject refusal
to look on the bright side. I was asked who the hell I thought I was and
what were my credentials to join this not-so-exclusive club - and I
realized just how blessed and lucky I was to have made the online friends
that I have made.

To have already experienced the pain and the denial; to have already had
the strength to work through all of the negative and made my somewhat
uneasy peace with this Parkinson’s disease. To use Sidney Dorros’ favorite
phrase: "To accommodate but never surrender!"

There, of course, is no easy way to get through this process of discovering
life after your diagnosis and it would be impossible without the love and
support that I have gotten from a thousand different people - all of you
here have made an enormous impact on my life and I thank each of you from
the bottom of my heart.

I cannot begin to think of life lived without the special people who are my
guiding lights and my pillars of strength - without the Parkinson Alliance
and PLWP and the Dumpster Gang - all of the many friends who enable me to
get out of day and to face each day with renewed hope and energy; both
online and off.

My special thanks to Peggy Willocks of Tennessee for nominating me for this
award (I love you, Pretty Peg!) and to all of those who sent in letters
supporting that nomination and also to my partner and my best friend on the
internet Dennis Greene (of Perth, Australia) - I couldn’t have done this
without his encouragement and his brilliance lighting the way.

I would next like to acknowledge the unstoppable and the never-ending
source of my strength and love - my dear family. For it is only through the
generosity of spirit and the kindness of heart of my husband, Stan; my
darling children, Ali and Mitch; my sainted mother, Norma Blessington; and
my sisters and brothers and their families that I am able to devote so much
of my time and energy to what has become my passion and my ministry.

And I humbly thank God and also my patron saint - Joan of Arc - for showing
me the way to best use the gifts that God has so graciously given me to
serve Him and His people.

Thank you, Donna Dorros, for this award. Please know how much this means to
me and please know that the courageous spirit of your husband, Sidney
Dorros will live on through my actions and my attitude all the rest of my
life.

Now, I can’t wait to have the time to get back to the chatroom with my
message of hope and redemption!

Joan E. Blessington Snyder     49/11
http://www.geocities.com/joanbsnyder/

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky .
pd: 54/41/37 cd: 54/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask] .
snail mail: 375 Country Street, Apt 301, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0 .