Road warriors take break in Bali

Saturday 16 June 2001 - Mike Nemesvary, a former champion freestyle skier,
left Ottawa March 20 on his mission to become the first quadriplegic to
drive around the world -- a 40,000-kilometre trek to raise awareness and
funds for spinal-cord injury research and rehabilitation.

MADRAS, India - We did it. Leg 2, from Dublin, Ireland, to Madras, India --
more than 17,000 kilometres -- is officially over.

Heading into Madras, we started to relax a bit, only to have one final
close call reminding us of the dangers of the Indian road. As George
Swinimer recalls, it was our most heart-pounding moment to date.

"A large truck with a piece of metal siding protruding from the side
swerved to avoid a bicycle as we cruised over a bridge.
'BANG-ruck-a-tuck-tuck.' The damage: side mirror bent inside and up, radio
antenna ripped off, plastic scraped off the roof rack and scratches to the
body paint.

"The true evidence of our luck came with the puncture in the front of the
truck body. One inch to the right, and the hood of the truck could have
flipped up, causing who knows what on a bridge.

"And one inch up? Metal pole through the windscreen, shattering and likely
puncturing me right through the left lung. So again, thumbs up to that luck
angel."

Now looking like true road warriors -- slightly scarred but intact -- we
continued on to our Madras hotel. Once again, we were taken aback as we
were greeted by 40 to 50 reporters, camped out on the front steps. We felt
like rock stars with all the lights and cameras; they even had a
closed-circuit TV to capture our arrival.

Inside the conference room, we joined an additional 200 people for a
viewing of a piece I did several months ago in Ottawa for Regional Contact.

The highlight of the event was being named the recipient of the "Triumph of
Human Spirit Award" by the Rotarians of Madras and presented with a
beautiful silver plaque.

I was truly touched and gave one of my best, most spontaneous, speeches of
the tour. I was rewarded with a standing ovation, which in the disabled
world is the next best thing to a sitting ovation!

The following day we met with doctors and patients at a large government
hospital and toured a ward dedicated to spinal-cord injuries.

It was interesting to learn that the bulk of their spinal-cord injuries are
results of falls and not automobile accidents, as it is in Canada --
particularly surprising, given the crazy driving in India.

We began the enormous task of repacking the truck for its container trip to
Australia.

Arriving at the docking facility, we noted the final odometer reading:
219,566 kilometres. We spent most of the morning waiting -- in India "15
minutes" can mean three hours.

We pleaded we had a flight to catch and could not wait any longer.

The pressure worked and finally, they pushed it through anyway and closed
the door on the container.

We don't know exactly how long the shipping of the truck will take;
apparently there are "slow boats" and "fast boats" -- we don't yet know
which one we got. We hope it will make it over in 20 days but have been
warned that it could take as long as 30 days.

Before flying to Australia, George and I are taking a much-needed break in
Bali.

We are both mentally and physically exhausted from the events of the past
21/2 months, since our departure from Ottawa.

For more information, visit www.roundtheworldchallenge.org

Mike Nemesvary
The Ottawa Citizen
Copyright 2001 CanWest Interactive, a CanWest company. All rights reserved

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky .
pd: 54/41/37 cd: 54/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask] .
snail mail: 375 Country Street, Apt 301, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0 .