from the Ottawa Citizen:
Wednesday, June 13, 2001
Letters to the editor

Louts abuse handicap parking

For a week now I've been struggling with an inflamed Achilles tendon. It
means walking with a cane - slowly.

It has given me a chance to experience, I hope only briefly, what it is
like to be mobility impaired. I can no longer manage the three-block walk
from my downtown parking space to my office. Buses are out of the question
- that involves six blocks of walking.

A trip to the washroom takes planning, a shower takes endurance worthy of a
flamingo, and sleep is disturbed by nagging discomfort in a limb.

But what is most painful of all is to see the legions of able-bodied
drivers (displaying handicap permits) using handicapped parking spaces when
no disability is visible, nor is any disabled person with them. Just once I
would like to see a by-law enforcement officer challenge some of these lazy
louts.

Remember: If you take up a handicap spot when neither you nor your
passengers are legitimately disabled, you condemn some other poor soul to a
long and agonizing ordeal as they try to get from vehicle to store. You
should be ashamed, and fined heavily. Perhaps a month in an ankle cast
would help educate you.

James Bradley, Nepean

from the computer of Janet Paterson:

Letters to the Editor
Ottawa Citizen
1101 Baxter Road
Ottawa Ontario K2C 3M4
Att'n: Kurt Johnson
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Dear Mr. Johnson;

On June 13th, James Bradley of Nepean wrote about 'lazy louts', that is,
apparently able-bodied drivers displaying handicapped parking permits and
using handicapped parking spaces, when no disability is 'visible'. I am 54
years old and I have had Parkinson's disease since I was 38. As I observe
the slow but inexorable progress of this incurable and degenerative disease
in my body, attaining a 'smooth' response to the medications (which can
remove 95% of my symptoms), can feel like a misguided attempt to fine-tune
a Maserati using a ball-peen hammer. As a result, my PD symptoms can yo-yo
from highly 'visible' to 'invisible' several times a day. Mr. Bradley might
very well have seen me getting out of a car and walking 'like a normal
person'. He might also have seen me an hour later, shuffling back to the
car or even being wheeled in a borrowed wheel chair because my meds had not
'kicked in' and I had become virtually paralyzed (at least in terms of
walking) in a matter of minutes. A visible clue (like an ankle cast) is not
the only way to 'judge' disability. I like to asssume that anyone who has
gone to the trouble to obtain and display a handicapped sticker is
legitimately entitled to it.

Janet Paterson

375 Country Street, Apt 301
Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0