     1996/02/08
     my trick

     My first memory is of early morning in my crib in Mum and Dad's
     bedroom.

     Dad had been puttering about, getting ready to go to work, and
     left the room, and came back awhile later (I suppose he had gone
     down to have breakfast). I knew that he would come back in, and
     somehow I knew that he would come over to the crib to check on me.

     So I decided to play A Big Trick On Him, And Pretend That I Was
     Asleep, When I Wasn't, Not Really. Can you see the little
     pea-brain at work? I must have been all of 3 years old. I felt
     very smug that I was able to trick him, and then enjoyed having
     him tuck me in tenderly.

     There's a basic deep strength inside me that the later atmosphere
     (when I became aware of it) couldn't sap. And you say you see
     generosity in me. I can feel it, too, with no strings at all. I
     think it's part and parcel of that first impression of feeling
     totally safe and cared for.

     janet paterson
     1996/02/08

               when i was diagnosed with clinical depression
               in 1990, i started on anti-depressant
               medication and regular 'talking therapy'
               sessions with my psychiatrist. she suggested
               that our earliest memory is significant - it
               almost 'sets the tone' for our later
               personality development. after analysing our
               family history in some detail using old photos
               and certificates etc to pin down dates and
               names and places (all on dr.guthrie's advice),
               i found myself understanding more than i would
               have thought possible, in light of the
               shortage of older family members to call on
               for information. in retrospect, the entire
               exercise was both revealing and freeing for
               me. looking back on various situations from an
               adult viewpoint enabled me to understand and
               realease many hidden and hoarded childhood
               memory/perception/impressions.