Fox is voice of 'Atlantis' hero
By Craig Kopp, Post movie writer
In  ''Atlantis: The Lost Empire,'' Disney's big animated film for the
summer, Michael J. Fox provides the voice of a skinny, though
enthusiastic, bookworm who finds the hero inside when faced with
adversity.

It's a role Fox - who left his popular TV show ''Spin City'' after
being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease - knows a little
something about.

''As many books as Milo (Fox's ''Atlantis'' character) reads, he's
probably read the book called "The Tipping Point,' '' said Fox.

''It's a book about how any good thing that happened, there's
a point at which it became inevitable, and what was that point
and what was the momentum and what was the energy that
drove it to that point.

''In his mind, it's inevitable that Atlantis will be found and,
at some point, it's inevitable that it will be saved. And, certainly,
that's an energy I bring into the work I'm doing with Parkinson's
research and things like that.''

Though Fox isn't doing as much acting work as he goes for the
big win over his Parkinson's, he said he really doesn't see much
difference between his life and his work.

''My work is really fun. I have a great job. And, I really enjoy life,
you know. So my work exists sort of as a microcosm of my life,''
he said.

''Overcoming challenges is probably the greatest sensation and
feeling you can have,'' Fox said - and that's the underlying theme
of ''Atlantis,'' and of Fox's character, who discovers the location
of the lost city and becomes its protector.

One thing that you won't catch in ''Atlantis,'' however, is Fox singing.

Unlike in many Disney features, there are no musical numbers here.
''I love that I don't have to sing in this movie. That was a big part of
accepting the role,'' Fox joked.

Publication date: 06-14-01

http://www.cincypost.com/2001/jun/14/atlan061401.html

********