On 16 Jun 2001, at 16:04, Rayilyn Brown wrote:

> List Members:
>
> Did anyone catch the shaking Parkies on CNN's Your Health
> 12.30 PM PDT today?
>   I had "Mute" on TV as I was on phone.  I saw them  and
>  some pills,  couldn't read what they were, but people were almost
>  running afterwards.
> Probably something we already know about.  I'd appreciate hearing if
> anyone got the correct info.  Thanks, [log in to unmask]

Was it....

New treatment guidelines for Parkinson's disease
By Christy Oglesby  CNN
(CNN) -- New recommendations for the treatment of early-stage
Parkinson's disease modify a 35-year-old standard and offer
improved quality of life for sufferers, researchers say.
For almost four decades, doctors have prescribed levodopa first
to help alleviate the muscle stiffness and slowed reaction times
caused by Parkinson's. But that drug caused patients to
experience uncontrollable, jerky movements, a condition known
as dyskinesia.

After reviewing data from several studies, doctors now recommend
he use of dopamine agonists, not levodopa, as the first-line treatment.

ey treat the stiffness caused by the disease while reducing the risk
f developing dyskinesia.

"Parkinson's is really two diseases," said William C. Koller,
 professor of neurology and one of the authors of the article,
hich appears in the journal Neurology. "There's the slowness
nd stiffness that's Parkinson's and there's the dyskinesia that
a complication of long-term levodopa treatment."

Dyskinesia also is a side effect of taking dopamine agonists,
Koller said, but it is often delayed and is not as severe as it is
with levodopa. Other side effects include nausea, dizziness,
headache and sleeplessness.

Prolonged use of levodopa also causes neuropsychiatric
complications, and its effects linger indefinitely, regardless
of what subsequent treatments doctors might use. As
Parkinson's progresses, patients develop other problems
uch as freezing episodes, falling or dementia that do not
respond to levodopa therapy.

The Neurology article revises the previous treatment algorithm,
or decision tree, by recommending delayed use of levodopa
while starting treatment with drugs that imitate the specific brain
chemical that Parkinson's patients lack.

Understanding Parkinson's
Doctor's are not certain what causes Parkinson's disease, a disorder
of the central nervous system, but they have located a defective
gene in some families that have had a high occurrence of the disorder.
Disease symptoms include rigid muscles, slight tremors, poor balance,
walking problems and bradykinesia -- extreme slowness of movements
and reflexes.

Doctors have determined that Parkinson's is associated with a loss of
dopamine, a chemical transmitter in the brain. People with the disease
have a shortage of cells that produce dopamine. While levodopa goes
to areas of the brain that convert the drug to dopamine, dopamine
agonists are drugs that mimic dopamine and do not need the help
of converter cells.

Historically, doctors used dopamine agonists as adjuncts for patients
already on levodopa who began to experience motor problems. The
recommendations in the journal represent a significant shift, said Koller,
who is also the director of the movement disorder division at the
University of Miami.

Three new dopamine agonists are available for the treatment of
Parkinson's -- pramipexole, sold as Mirapex; ropinirole, sold as
Requip; and cabergoline, sold as Cabsar and Dostinex. The latter
has not been promoted in the United States for Parkinson's, but h
as been sold in Japan and some European countries.

Two older agonists, bromocriptine and pergolide, have been used
n the United States for years, the article stated, but have not been
studied as extensively for early Parkinson's as the new drugs.

After five years of dopamine agonist therapy, patients would need
to start levodopa, Koller explained. The delay in introducing its use
would postpone dyskinesias and improve the quality of life for
patients, he added.

"We can prolong having to use levodopa," Koller said. "We're
learning how to use the drugs better and that's what we really want."

http://www.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/conditions/06/11/parkinsons.guidelines/index.html