The Salt Lake Tribune
Despite Health, Fox Stays Animated
Actor Michael J. Fox wears headphones in a sound studio while
voicing animated character Milo Thatch in "Atlantis: The Lost Empire."
(Kelvin Jones/AP Photo/Disney Enterprises)
BY ANTHONY BREZNICAN
THE WASHINGTON POST

LOS ANGELES  -- Even in live-action roles, Michael J. Fox has always
played animated characters.

He's been a tie-adjusting, hand-waving, hair-pulling guy on TV shows
like "Family Ties" and "Spin City" and the "Back to the Future" movies.

But as the actor struggles to overcome Parkinson's disease, control of
his body is something he no longer takes for granted.

Coincidentally, Fox has discovered cartoons as a new outlet for his
thoughtfully manic performances.

The actor's recent starring roles include the voices of a shy linguist in
Disney's new "Atlantis: The Lost Empire," which opens Friday, and the
tiny, computer-generated mouse in "Stuart Little" and its upcoming
sequel.

"People ask me all the time if it's health related, the fact that I'm doing
so much voice stuff," Fox said. "It's not really, it's just a matter of
coincidence. . . . If I had the time that it would take to do on camera
performances, I would."

But the actor, who turned 40 on June 9, said taking on the vocal roles
has definitely made work easier for him.

"It's great when you go in and all you have to think about is getting
the voice. . . . It is easier," Fox said. "It's nice to not have to worry
about having the physical energy I may not have at that moment."

The four-time Emmy winner was diagnosed in 1991 with the
degenerative brain disorder with such symptoms as shaking,
spasms and loss of balance and coordination.

Fox continued to headline the ABC's "Spin City" for two more
seasons after going public with his illness in 1998 but left last
year to spend more time advocating for Parkinson's research.

He also said he had trouble hiding the trembling in his extremities.

Rob Minkoff, the director of "Stuart Little" and next year's
"Stuart Little 2," said Fox's vocal performances remain strong
despite his illness.

"I have noticed the Parkinson's has progressed," Minkoff said.
"But I think [animation] gives him an opportunity to use his gifts,
without having to use his physical appearance."

The mouse Fox plays is animated, but the rest of the "Stuart Little"
movies is live-action.

Fox said he first came to children's movies because he thought it
would tickle his own kids. He and his wife, actress Tracy Pollan,
have three children and another on the way.

Fox's first children's movie was as the voice of a dog in 1993's
"Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey."

The producers of "Atlantis" visited him on the set of "Spin City"
to pitch the new undersea project, setting up elaborate sketches
and designs in the actor's dressing room.

But it was Fox's son, Sam, who closed the deal.

"I knew my son would like it. He just turned 12 and for his
twelfth birthday we screened the movie for all his friends . . .
 It was great," the boyish Fox added with a grin.

"Atlantis" producer Don Hahn said he was surprised by the
energy Fox brought to his part as Milo Thatch, the soft-spoken
adventurer.

"I mean, here's a guy who's dealing with life-threatening issues . . .
It'd be hard for anyone faced in the middle of your life with
a disease that could change your career," Hahn said. "You make
a living with your body and you've lost control of your body . . .
But he's not stopping."

Fox plans to make a guest appearance next season on
"Spin City," reprising his role as Michael Flaherty, who left
the fictional mayor's office after taking the fall for a scandal.

He's also writing an autobiography tentatively titled Lucky Man,
which will chronicle his life in show business as well as his quest
for improved Parkinson's research.

With the right funding, Fox said he believes a cure is only
a decade away.

"The thing about Parkinson's research, and a lot of neurological
research, is that it's a great situation where the science is way
ahead of the money," he said. "There are [researchers] out there
who know what to do, they just need the resources."

Another happy side effect of working in animation, Fox said,
is that it supplies him more time to work for the Parkinson's
research foundation he created. "I can call and say, 'OK, I have
two hours on Wednesday,' and we can get on the soundstage
and I can go in and do it," Fox said. "As opposed to trying to
get an entire film crew together [for the whole day.]"

There are other benefits, too.

'I don't have to shave or comb my hair or dress up nice," he joked.

Although the lanky Milo Thatch is much taller than Fox, elements
of the actor were used to create the "Atlantis" character's physical
look.

John Pomeroy, supervising animator of the Milo character, watched
a video of Fox performing the voice when deciding how the cartoon
should move or express certain emotions.

The character also combines elements of Don Knotts, Jack Lemmon
and James Stewart.

The American Parkinson Disease Association provides educational
material about the effects of the disease including the booklets Good
Nutrition in Parkinson's Disease, Be Independent, Let's Communicate
and Be Active. To obtain copies of the booklets, visit the group's
Web site, http://www.apdaparkinson.org or call (800) 223-2732.

Information About  Parkinson's Disease;

The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke offers
information on various Parkinson's disease topics, including
treatment, prognosis and current research. To learn more, visit the
Web site http://www.ninds.nih.gov (choose Parkinson's under
"Disorder Quick Links" on the left) or call (800) 352-9424 to request
information by mail.

For information on Parkinson's disease symptoms, treatment
and research, visit the Parkinson Disease Foundation's Web site,
http://www.pdf.org
or call (800) 457-6676 to request information by mail.

http://www.sltrib.com/06142001/thursday/thursday.htm