Bravo Lorrie Bett!!  ...... murray
***********

Tuesday, June 19, 2001
Walker won't quit
By NOVA PIERSON, CALGARY SUN

An Alberta woman is embarking on the last leg of a nearly 2,000-km
walk to raise awareness about the disease she hasn't let stop her.

Lorrie Bett, 55, left Calgary yesterday as she begins the last 300 km
home to Wetaskiwin on her Sunshine Walk for Parkinson's disease.

"Awareness is my goal," said Bett, who had brain surgery last year
that temporarily put many of her symptoms on hold.

"I want people to know just because you have a progressive disease
you don't have to stop living."

She began her trip in April and headed from Wetaskiwin to her
childhood home in Nipawin, Sask., and is now headed back.

Bett, who has again begun to experience symptoms like spasms, expects
to be home by the end of June at her current pace of 32 km a day.

http://www.canoe.ca/CalgaryNews/cs.cs-06-19-0036.html

***********

Tuesday, June 19, 2001
Illness can't stop walk
By NOVA PIERSON, CALGARY SUN

An Alberta woman is embarking on the last leg of a nearly 2,000-km
walk to raise awareness about the disease she hasn't let stop her.

Lorrie Bett, 55, left Calgary yesterday as she begins the last 300 km
home to Wetaskiwin on her Sunshine Walk for Parkinson's disease.

"Awareness is my goal," said Bett, who had brain surgery last year
that temporarily put many of her symptoms on hold.

"I want people to know just because you have a progressive disease
you don't have to stop living."

Bett began her trip in April -- followed by a donated RV --and headed
from Wetaskiwin to her childhood home in Nipawin, Sask., and is
now headed back.

Bett, who has again begun to experience symptoms like spasms,
expects to be home by the end of June at her current pace of 32 km
a day.

She said there's been an "overwhelming" response.

And Bett's efforts have impressed the people she's come in contact
with on her trip.

"I think it's incredibly gutsy and she's setting a fantastic example
for everybody," said Susan Deike, fund-raising co-ordinator for
the Parkinson's Society of Southern Alberta.

Parkinson's is a neurological disorder with symptoms like rigid
muscles and walking difficulties.

For more information, contact the society at 243-9901.

http://www.canoe.ca/CalgaryNews/cs.cs-06-19-0037.html