BBC - UK News
Tuesday, 19 June, 2001, 23:13 GMT 00:13 UK
Ban baby cloning, says Royal Society
Declaring a worldwide ban on human reproductive cloning
offers the only hope of preventing scientists attempting to
duplicate babies, the UK's Royal Society has warned.

Researchers around the world have already said they intend
to clone babies within the next few years, despite widely held
fears about the implications of such work.

Reporting for the Royal Society to the House of Lords Ad Hoc
Committee on Stem Cell Research, Professor Richard Gardner
said cloning techniques should not be employed in human
reproduction.

"Our experience with animals suggests that there would be
a very real danger of creating seriously handicapped
individuals if anybody tries to implant cloned human
embryos into the womb," he said.

Worldwide action sought
Professor Gardner says only by pushing for an international
moratorium can the UK government "reduce the chances of
such experiments being carried out in other countries".

"We think that a ban on reproductive cloning would have
public support and is currently justified on scientific grounds.
It would also help to improve the public's confidence in science."

He said that to ignore "the public's well-founded opposition"
to reproductive cloning would be "unethical".

However, the Royal Society opposes any move to outlaw research
into therapeutic cloning - a field which could create unlimited
supplies of replacement tissue, including neurones, bone, skin
and heart muscle, for repairing injuries and treating disease.

The future of therapeutic cloning may be in the use of stem cells
taken from cloned human embryos rather than from adult organs.

"Adult stem cells are small in number and often hard to access.
With very few exceptions, adult stem cells will be only obtainable
from organs of people shortly after death.

Stem cell shortage
"Since there is already an acute shortage of donors of organs
for transplantation, work on adult stem cells is going to entail
even greater competition for scarce resources."

However, while the cloned human embryos used in therapeutic
research are not allowed to develop into foetuses, progress
made in the field will make reproductive cloning all the more
possible.

Professor Panos Zavos, who says he expects to offer couples
the chance of having a cloned baby by 2003, has long argued
that any attempt to ban serious research will be counterproductive.

He fears human cloning will merely take place away from public
scrutiny if such a ban is implemented.

"It is time for us to develop the package in a responsible manner,
and make the package available to the world. I think I have faith
in the world that they will handle it properly."

The Royal Society said Professor Zavos's claims had prompted
"a  lot of unchallenged publicity".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1396000/1396724.stm