Pro-Life Leaders Urge Sec. Thompson to Stand Firm Against
Embryonic Stem Cell Research
P.R.Newswire, 6/14/2001 15:29

WASHINGTON, June 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Family and religious leaders
delivered a letter to Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy
Thompson today, urging him to take an unequivocal position in
defense of the sanctity of human life.

The letter asks Sec. Thompson to oppose the use of stem cell
research that requires the destruction of embryonic human beings.

The two-page letter dated June 14, 2001, which follows, is signed by:

Kenneth L. Connor - Family Research Council
James Dobson - Focus on the Family
Bill Bennett - Empower America
Chuck Colson - Prison Fellowship
Beverly LaHaye - Concerned Women for America
Robert Best - Culture of Life Foundation
D. James Kennedy - Coral Ridge Ministries
Bill Bright - Campus Crusade for Christ
Raymond L. Flynn - Catholic Alliance
Austin Ruse - Catholic Family & Human Rights Institute
Father Richard John Neuhaus - Institute on Religion & Public Life
Father Frank Pavone - Priests for Life
Sam Casey - Christian Legal Defense Fund
Robert Royal - Faith & Reason Institute

This week's media coverage of the difficult decisions regarding
embryonic stem cell research facing the administration has prompted
this letter.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you and President
Bush as you conclude the review you have conducted on the various
and complicated aspects of stem cell research.

We are particularly mindful, Mr. Secretary, that the greater weight
of the decision to use embryonic stem cells rests squarely on your
shoulders, a heavy burden to be sure. Doubtless President Bush
will look to you more so than any other for advice and counsel.
Your leadership on this most important ethical question will provide
 guidance on scientific experimentation at one of the most critical
turning points in human history.  For this reason, we offer the
clear thinking of two world leaders.

The first is our President, who said in a recent letter to the Culture
of Life Foundation, "I oppose federal funding for stem cell research
that involves destroying living human embryos."  "I support
innovative medical research on life-threatening and debilitating
diseases, including promising research on stem cells from adult
tissue."  The President is correct.  The debate before you is not
about "stem cell research" per se.  We support medical research
that does not utilize human stem cells obtained from sources
that do not require the destruction of human embryos.

The words of Pope John Paul II provide the second quote. In his
encyclical Evangelium Vitae, The Pontiff addresses specifically the
responsibility towards life of those who serve in public office.
"(T)he use of human embryos or fetuses as an object of
experimentation constitutes a crime against their dignity as human
beings who have a right to the same respect owed to a child once
born, just as to every person."

Some have maintained that frozen embryos are not alive. This is
misleading.  It is precisely because such embryos are living that
their stem cells are attractive for research. Please understand that
recent advances in adult stem cell research have made the killing
of human embryos unnecessary.

All who have subscribed our names below urge you in the strongest
possible terms to take an unequivocal position in defense of the
sanctity of human life.

SOURCE  Family Research Council

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/165/wash/_Pro_Life_Leaders_Urge_Sec_Tho:.shtml