The New York Times
June 15, 2001
PUBLIC INTERESTS
Sisyphus in D.C.
By GAIL COLLINS
Remember back when governors were trendy?
Christie Whitman left New Jersey to put a moderate Republican face on
the Environmental Protection Agency. Two humiliating rebuffs from the
White House later, she's vanished. Twenty years from now, a schlock
news show will open up a mysterious vault under the Executive Office
Building and discover Mrs. Whitman, typing memos hopefully.

Tommy Thompson was going to turn the lumbering Department of
Health and Human Services into an innovative 21st-century service
center for the upwardly mobile poor — not a safety net, but a
trampoline! But lately, he's been complaining about how hard it is to
move the bureaucracy. "You know when I was governor, I'd have an
idea in the morning and I'd have people working on it in the morning
and have it partially implemented by the afternoon," he told The
Washington Post. Now that he's in the cabinet, Mr. Thompson has
an idea in the morning and by afternoon he will have had lunch.

Yesterday Secretary Thompson unveiled a reorganization of the Health
Care Financing Administration that was highlighted by a promise of "a
new climate of responsiveness" and an announcement that the H.C.F.A.
will henceforth be called Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Some of us were sorry to see that Mr. Thompson had dropped the idea
of calling it Medicare And Medicaid Administration, or MAMA.

Next, the nation will get to see whether the secretary's previous
judgment about the importance of stem cell research trumps the White
House's judgment about the importance of the anti-abortion lobby.

Scientists believe stem cells from human embryos may hold the key to
cures for everything from diabetes to Parkinson's disease. "This is the
wave of the future," said Dr. Mary Hendrix of the Federation of
American Societies for Experimental Biology. It's possible that cells from
adults may turn out to be just as useful, but researchers are pushing for
as much flexibility as possible. They're supported by the disease
organizations, and every celebrity sufferer in the nation is prepared to
testify before Congress.

The anti-abortion movement, meanwhile, is totally opposed to using
embryonic stem cells because the scientists have to destroy the embryo
in order to extract them. "We start with the principle that each of these
eggs is an individual member of the human species," said Douglas
Johnson of the National Right to Life Committee. Researchers get stem
cells via fertility clinics, which dispose of the unused fertilized eggs. Mr.
Johnson said his organization felt the eggs should be made available for
adoption instead.

George W. Bush sounded unenthusiastic about stem cell research
during the presidential campaign. Perhaps more to the point, there are
reports that Karl Rove, his chief political adviser, believes that any
failure to crack down could cost the administration Catholic votes in
2004.

Mr. Thompson, who is Catholic and pro-life, was nevertheless
supportive of stem cell research when he was happily running
Wisconsin. A number of members of Congress feel the same way.

"Senator Thurmond's daughter has diabetes, but he would be
supportive of stem cell research even if that wasn't the case," said a
spokeswoman for Strom Thurmond. Parsing the policy decisions of a
98- year-old legislator are somewhat difficult, but the spokeswoman
said that Mr. Thurmond, although pro-life, felt that "the advances in
medicine that eventually could be achieved outweigh having to use
what would be discarded fertilized eggs."

One thing you can say for Strom Thurmond — I doubt there's anyone
in Washington more interested in advances in medicine.

Mr. Thompson, who originally seemed to want to give the researchers
some leeway, has gone undercover pending further study and the return
of the Great Decider from Europe. But if President Bush opts to oppose
the scientists and makes his secretary deliver the bad news, it will be an
embarrassment of Christie Whitman proportions.

"I've learned the hard way already," Mr. Thompson confessed to a
newspaper back in Wisconsin. "You can't be quite as direct as I was as
governor."

Maybe he and Mrs. Whitman could start a support group.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/15/opinion/15COLL.html