cross-posted

Topic:  A Nasty F Word
Author: lc_lil
Hey I discovered something very useful this morning. I
sometimes wake with festination, and have almost fallen
many times. It is a most unpleasant symptom. Those who
have acquired it before me may know this trick but I’m
still giggling because I just discovered it today. I can
walk backwards with no problem. Ha - the brain can be
fooled occasionally. So fellow festinators - try throwing
it in reverse.

Festination is a bad word. I imagine nobody likes to fall
except possibly Kramer or Chevy Chase. Festination is a
ridiculous sounding word....who thought of that word? It
should be called unballet. The feet do their tippy toe
run thing and then freeze but the rest of you doesn’t. I
think I'll start sleeping in a tutu so I can do unballet
in the morning. And if I fall, I hope my best side lands
up as a tribute to what I think of the whole thing.

1il

From:   cs2
lil- better "festination" than "festernation" What would
that be? Bleeding bedsores from sleeping like a mummy
every night. I don't know about you but I don't move two
inches from the position that I fall asleep in. Us rigid
akinetics know what I mean!

From:   lc_lil
Still here and yes, that's why I sleep on my left side so
my TMJ jaw doesn't lock open from not budging..unballet
with mouth locked open....what a sight....ahhh well.

lil

From:   CLOUDY
Dear Lil

Please consider that some of us have a tendancy to fall
backwords as a specific symptom of PD. Walking backwords
to avoid festination may not be suitable for all PD'ers.
I've never found festination to hurt although it may for
some, but as I understand the definition, it just
describes small short steps instead of regular strides.

From:   janet313313
hi all

i believe that the definition of festination
includes small steps which increase in speed to the point
where most parkies have trouble stopping unless they run
into something (or fall)

lil, if you are seeing festination as a relatively new
development at a regular time most days, it's quite
possible that a fine adjustment in the timing or doseage
of your medication could get it under control.

i believe that "festination" is a variation on the
"freeze" symptom (ono! another "f" word!) and indicates
being a tad bit undermedicated

our learned, automatic, i.e. unconscious movements are
the ones most affected by PD, thus any 'normal' forward
motion suffers.

but 'abnormal' forward motion is still possible as in try
one of monty python's (ministry of) silly walks as a
means of getting where you want to go!

or a forward motion which needs demands more active
consciousness can be unaffected
as in walking up stairs
e.g. if i am "kicked out" and reduced to a slow
micro-shuffle, once i get to the bottom of a flight of
stairs, i can bound up them like a graceful as a gazelle,
and then get stuck again at the top!

or a backward motion, which demands even more active
consciousness (ie. walking or even running backwards) can
be easier to accomplish
e.g. george lussier on the pd listserv started jogging
backwards for exercise since he couldn't jog forwards!
there is quite a lot posted in the pd listserv archives
about walking backwards!

a fantasy
fleet-footed festinators
frolicking to and fro in a custom fit ballet!

do not allow your spirit to fester over festination
it's just another challenge
cuz you've done so well with the others!

with love

janet