Milwaukee Journal Sentinal
GOP moves to ban stem cell research
Measure to split DNR in two makes Assembly's budget
By STEVEN WALTERS of the Journal Sentinel staff
Last Updated: June 22, 2001

Madison - After an emotional debate, Republicans who control
the state Assembly voted Friday to ban stem cell research in
Wisconsin beginning in January, and to ban research on fetal
tissue and human embryos.

That provision - and one equally as controversial that would split
the Department of Natural Resources into two separate agencies -
were added to the proposed state budget that the GOP-controlled
Assembly is expected to approve next week.

The GOP measure would prohibit fetal tissue, human embryo
and stem cell research, although stem cells developed and
stored up through Jan. 1 could still be used for research.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is a world leader in stem
cell research to cure fatal diseases.

Rep. Sheryl Albers (R-Loganville) offered the research bans,
saying it was a compromise for her to allow research on stem
cells from human embryos developed and stored until Jan. 1.

"You have to start at some point," Albers said of the Jan. 1 date.

"We aren't saying all these stems cells . . . have to be eliminated."

Albers and other Republicans said life starts at fertilization,
so using stem cells from human embryos is a "barbaric" act.

"We ought not to take a life and use it as a test sample," added
Rep. Judy Krawczyk (R-Green Bay).

Impact on research?
But other Republicans defended stem cell research, saying it has
already led to medical breakthroughs that are helping keeping the
critically ill alive and will continue to so.

"The world is changing," said Rep. Dean Kaufert (R-Neenah),
who pointed out that McCallum is trying to get more high-tech
medical companies to expand or locate in Wisconsin. "We want
that company here that is going to find a cure for cancer . . . for
leukemia."

"If this research can save one of my children, my wife or a loved
one, I say, 'Let the research take place,' " added Rep. Rick Skindrud
(R-Mount Horeb).

Stem cell research is so controversial that President George W. Bush
has yet to take a position on it. Tommy G. Thompson, Bush's
secretary of the U.S. Health and Human Services Department and
someone who praised the leading UW-Madison stem cell researcher
when he was governor of Wisconsin, has offered to set the federal
 policy on the research, but Bush aides have stopped Thompson
from doing so.

Kevin Boatright, a UW spokesman, said Friday the proposed ban
was a disappointment given the "firm stance" the university took
this spring in support of human embryonic stem cell research.

"If it were an outright ban on research involving human embryonic
stem cell research, I think it would be very damaging to the
biotechnology industry in the state and to the future of the medical
research that is so important to the University of Wisconsin,"
he said. "This would have a negative effect."

Assembly Minority Leader Spencer Black (D-Madison) blasted
the measure.

"The Assembly Republicans have adopted a far-out right-wing view.

They have put radical anti-abortion politics ahead of people
suffering from incurable diseases," he said.

Before recommending the 2002 stem cell research ban in Wisconsin,
Assembly Republicans approved the same basic anti-abortion
package of changes they endorsed two years ago. Those changes
would:

Prohibit the use of public employees and public property for all
abortion-related activities.

Deny tax funds for any organization that engages in abortion-related
activities.

Enact a "conscience clause" provision for pharmacists that would
allow them to not fill prescriptions for the abortion drug RU-486.

SNIP

Democrats who control the state Senate passed their version
of the 2001-'03 budget on Wednesday - a budget that looks nothing
like the one Assembly Republicans plan to finish developing
Monday.

When both Assembly and Senate have passed their versions
of the budget, leaders from both houses must resolve their
differences and agree on a final budget that McCallum must
sign into law.

Nahal Toosi and Jessica Hansen of the Journal Sentinel staff,
reporting from Milwaukee, contributed to this report.

Appeared in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on June 23, 2001.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/jun01/assem23062201a.asp

* * *