To upstate New Yorkers who want to become more involved in Parkinson's
advocacy, please contact me off list  ([log in to unmask])
If you are attending the Parkinson's Wellness Group symposium in Buffalo
this Saturday, we will be getting together for a short meeeting about
Parkinson's funding and other advocacy issues right after the symposium.

Earlier this week, I had the opportunity to speak with legistative
assistants of NY Senator Schumer and Rep. Thomas Reynolds (27th CD)
regarding PD research funding and stem cell research.
We were told by Schumer's assistant Thomas Coffey that the senator is
"100%" behind fully funding Parkinson's research and will become a
co-sponsor of Sen. Specter's stem cell research funding bill. We hope to
see some positive actions soon by Sen. Schumer that will back up his
statements. Additional contacts from other New Yorkers would be very
helpful -- please call Thomas Coffey at 202-224-6542.

Rep. Reynolds assistant, Tina Mufford, stated that he supports medical
research and doubling the NIH budget. In March he issued a press release
calling for increased Department of Defense funding for their breast
cancer research programs. I asked if he would do the same for the DOD
Parkinson's research progrm as well, and left some information about it.
Note: there is updated information about DOD funding, and other issues on
PAN's web site (www.parkinsonsaction.org)

Regarding stem cell research funding, she stated Reynolds is "pro-life"
and although was initially opposed, he is listening to the debate,
especially to the opinions of other "pro-life" politicians, and is still
deciding.
If you live in Reynolds' district  or have friends or family who live in
his district, please call, or ask them to call Tina Mufford in DC
202-225-5265 to state your opinions.
People living in other upstate Congressional Districts are crucially
needed to contact their representatives. The goal is at least one
Parkinson's advocate in every district.  If you will do so,  or if you
have any questions, please write.
Thanks,
Linda Herman