Rasagiline is similar to seligine (e.g. Eldepryl) but without the side
effects AND a greater likelihood of neuroprotection (i.e. stopping the
degeneration of the dopamine-producing cells of the brain).  It was developed
by Teva Pharmaceuticals, Israel's largest pharm. co.  It has been around
since at least 1998, has been accepted by a number of countries, and is just
beginning phase III clinical trials at a number of sites in the US.  The site
I will work with is Duke University Medical Center.  The lead site is in
Philadelphia, I think (today I spoke with a research nurse who mentioned that
the Duke team had just returned from a meeting in Philadelphia).

The clinical description of rasagiline is that it is "a potent and
irreversible inhibitor of the enzyme, monoamine oxide type B, MAO-B, which
contributes to the breakdown of dopamine."  Could any MDs or research
scientists on the list elaborate on this?  Does the fact that it is
"irreversible" make it risky"

Some web sites with more info. include:

http://www.tevapharm.com/pr/2000/pr_236.html
http://www.lundbeck.com/Newsroom/pressreleases/show.asp?ID=47