From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 06:21:59 EDT
Subject: URGENT - Immediate Action Needed - Read, Act, and Distribute
URGENT ACTION NEEDED!  WHITE HOUSE SAYS DECISION ON STEM CELL RESEARCH
DUE SOON.  KEEP VISIBLE - CALLS AND EMAILS NEEDED.

1.  CALL THE WHITE HOUSE
Your phone calls to the White House have helped us so far avoid a ban on
Federal funding for research that involves stem cells derived from
fertilized
eggs.  However, we need your help again.

Today, the New York Times, citing Bush Administration sources, reported
that,
"the White House is leaning toward revoking regulations...that allow
federally sponsored biomedical research using stem cells from human
embryos."

The article later states that a final decision on stem cell research has
not
yet been made, but is expected in early July.  You can read the entire
New
York Times article at
<A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/22/health/22BUSH.html">
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/22/health/22BUSH.html</A>

WE NEED YOU TO CALL THE WHITE HOUSE DURING NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS TO URGE
THE PRESIDENT TO SUPPORT RESEARCH INVOLVING STEM CELLS FROM FERTILIZED
EGGS.  IT IS URGENT THAT YOU MAKE THIS CALL AND PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING
TALKING POINTS:

(1)  Call the White House Public Liaison Office at 202-456-2380.  Try to

speak to the person who answers the phone before he or she transfers you.
 If
you get voicemail and it is full, try the White House comment line at Or,

call both.  The White House contacts web site <A
HREF="http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/">http://www.whitehouse.gov/conta
ct/
</A>  also lists the
SWITCHBOARD 202-456-1414   -   FAX 202-456-2461

(2.) Explain that you support federal funding for research on stem cells
that
come from fertilized eggs.  Note that many pro-lifers, including Health
and
Human Services Sec. Tommy Thompson, Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Senator
Strom Thurmond (R-SC), and former Senator Connie Mack, support stem cell
research and believe it is not related to the abortion issue.

(3.) Share our polling data: 70% of Americans support research on stem
cells
that are derived from fertilized eggs, including 72% of Catholics, 63% of

Fundamentalist Christians, and 56% of individuals who consider themselves

pro-life.

(4.) If you are a Republican, be sure to mention that.  If you are
pro-life
on the abortion issue, be sure to mention that as well.  If you are a
Republican who plans on switching parties if the President outlaws steam
cell
research, let them know that too.

Please also forward this email to all of your friends and family members
expedite the number of calls into the White House.

Thank you very much for all of your efforts thus far, and keep it up!

For more information about stem cell research, see
<A HREF="www.stemcellfunding.org">www.stemcellfunding.org</A>

2. SEND EMAILS
----------------------
SEND EMAIL TO THE PRESIDENT AT THE WHITE HOUSE AND THOSE WHO MIGHT
INFLUENCE HIS OPINION

VERY EFFECTIVE WAY TO MAKE YOUR OPINION KNOWN -
Click on the following "Coalition for the Advancement of Medical
Research"
URL for a sample letter that you can modify that can be automatically
sent to
your representatives and the President - <www.stemcellfunding.org>

If you do not choose the FAX option, you will need to mail it yourself.
Since time is running out, CHOOSE FAX OPTION.

President George W. Bush:

Vice President Dick Cheney:

First Lady Laura Bush:

Mrs. Lynne Cheney:

If email not an option or you want to send a regular post office letter,
the
address is
The Honorable George W. Bush
President of the United States
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

3.  WALL STREET JOURNAL POLL
Wall Street Journal (electronic edition) poll on the stem cell issue.
It is
easy to participate -- no membership required -- it takes less than 30
seconds.  The choices are: (1) support stem cell research, (2) support
stem
cell research but opposed to abortion (the original source for the
embryos),
and (3) oppose stem cell   research - To vote (1) go to
<A HREF="www.wsj.com/JournalLinks">www.wsj.com/JournalLinks</A> , (2)
scroll
down the page until you see the "Question of the Day" link and click it,
and
(3) the rest should be self explanatory.

Bill added:
---Noticed that the Wall Street poll is closed  - tally was 80% for
research
(67% yes, 13% yes but are against abortion) and 20% no.  Total sample was

only 574)

4.   IF YOU ARE REPRESENTED IN THE U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES BY A
REPUBLICAN,  THERE IS AN ADDITIONAL WAY YOU CAN HELP.

HOUSE REPUBLICANS CIRCULATE LETTER SUPPORTING STEM CELL RESEARCH; CALLS
NEEDED TO CAPITOL HILL

Representative Jennifer Dunn (R-WA) has drafted a letter to President
Bush that supports stem cell research.  Rep. Dunn's letter urges
President Bush to support research on stem cells that are derived from
fertilized eggs.

Please call your representative and ask him or her to sign the letter,
which is pasted below.

1. Call your representative .
2. Ask for the health legislative assistant.
3. Ask him/her for the representative to sign the "Dunn Stem Cell
Research" letter to President Bush.
4. If you leave a voicemail, be sure to leave your name, address and
phone number and a detailed message.  Ask the staffer to call you back.

THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS HAVE ALREADY SIGNED ..
Dunn, Nethercutt, Castle, Kirk, Bass, Simmions, Gilman, Nancy Johnson,
Pryce, Granger, Gilchrest, Houghton, Frelinghuysen, Shaw, Shay, Roukema,
Kolbe, Cooksey, Kelly, Greenwood, Boehlert, Jerry Lewis.

NOT SURE WHO YOUR REPRESENTATIVE IS?
Click on the following URL and enter your zip code and the system will
tell
you.
<A HREF="http://www.house.gov/MemberWWW.html">
http://www.house.gov/MemberWWW.html</A>
We need to get as many Republican as possible to sign up.

PAN (PARKINSON'S ACTION NETWORK)  HAS REQUESTED THAT THE FOLLOWING
REPRESENTATIVES BE ESPECIALLY TARGETED AND CONTACTED
Randy "Duke" Cunningham (R- 51st CA)    202-225-5452
Sonny Callahan (R- 1st AL)              202-225-4931
Connie Morella (R- 8th MD)              202-225-5341
Vito Fossella (R- 13th NY)              202-225-3371
Joe Scarborough (R- 1st FL)             202-225-4136
Bill Thomas (R- 21st CA)                202-225-2915
Dan Miller (R- 13th FL)                 202-225-5015
Henry Bonilla (R- 23rd TX)              202-225-4511
Richard Burr (R- 5th NC)                    202-225-2071
Dave Dreier (R- 28th CA)                202-225-2305
Mark Foley (R- 16th FL)                 202-225-5792
Greg Ganske (R- 4th IA)                 202-225-4426
Porter Goss (R- 14th FL)                202-225-2536
David Hobson (R- 7th OH)                202-225-4324
John Peterson (R- 5th PA)               202-225-5121
Joe Skeen (R- 2nd NM)                   202-225-2365
Bill Young (R- 10th FL)                 202-225-5961
Mary Bono (R- 44th CA)                  202-225-5330
Mike Oxley (R- 4th OH)                  202-225-2676
Bob Ney (R- 18th OH)                    202-225-6265
Christopher Cox (R- 47th CA)            202-225-5611

FOLLOWING LETTER IS FOR HOUSE REPUBLICANS ONLY.  REPRESENTATIVES WHO WISH
TO SIGN THE LETTER SHOULD CALL VERGIL IN REP. DUNN'S OFFICE AT
202-225-7761.

The Honorable George W. Bush
President of the United States
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, D.C.  20500

Dear President Bush:

We are writing to ask you to support the current policy of allowing
federal funding of embryonic stem cell research.  We believe that funding
embryonic stem cell research will help scientists find new treatments for
chronic diseases and will, ultimately, save lives.

We know that there is great pressure from some to change the current
policy.  But we truly believe that such a change would not be in the
interests of the health and welfare of the people we represent.  For
their sake, we have worked to do all we can to advance scientific
knowledge
and
encourage development of new treatments for chronic illnesses such as
Alzheimer's disease, juvenile diabetes, and Parkinson's disease.  In the
case of juvenile diabetes, many children stand to benefit if embryonic
stem cell research leads to the development of new, insulin-producing
cells.

As you are well aware, support of embryonic stem cell research crosses
political parties and philosophical views on abortion.  For many families
with loved ones suffering from chronic diseases, this is a matter of life
or death.  We know that with effective safeguards, we can help millions
of
people while ensuring proper oversight on the use of embryonic stem
cells.

We also believe that, at best, it is too early to determine the promising
advancement that embryonic stem cells can provide compared to adult stem
cells.  Scientists cannot predict which fundamental investigations will
result in new applications that will benefit humans.  But for that very
reason, limiting the ability of scientists to investigate embryonic stem
cells now could hinder our ability to help people in the future.

We know you are giving this matter serious thought.  We ask that you
support
the existing policy of providing federal funds for embryonic stem cell
research.  If we can be helpful to you as you consider your choices,
please
know you can call on us.

                                                With best regards,