San Francisco Chronicle Page E - 6
Letter to the Editor

STEM CELL RESEARCH BAN MAKES NO SENSE
Editor -- President Bush is using his newly acquired powers
to halt federal funding for stem cell research. One could
guarantee that he would not be trying to prevent this critical
research if one of his daughters had autism, his wife were
suffering from Parkinson's disease or his mother was afflicted
with Alzheimer's.

His most recent attempt to prevent further research came in
the form of a last-minute cancellation of a National Institutes
of Health conference on the subject that was to be attended
by scientists from around the world.

For those who aren't aware, stem cells are gathered from six- to
eight-cell embryos created, but no longer needed, for in-vitro
fertilization -- in other words, embryos that will eventually be
discarded.

The president's views on abortion can be respected, but
he is confusing these two very different issues for political
expediency. His attempt to stifle funding for research that
could potentially save the lives of innocent children afflicted
with neurological disorders, seniors suffering from Alzheimer's
and young people enduring the trauma of juvenile diabetes
is narrow-minded and based on personal beliefs that
do not represent the will of most Americans.

In a recent nationwide poll, 70 percent of Americans of varying
religious affiliations said they support stem cell research. That
overwhelming majority is an indicator that most Americans
know of, or are living with, a person whose life may be dependent
on the outcome of stem cell research. In my case, I am the mother
of a beautiful and bright 4-year-old boy with autism.

I believe that stem cell research is the essence of "pro-life,"
as it will potentially allow thousands of children and adults
to live their lives to their fullest potential. Is that not what
President Bush continues to promise when he talks about
the freedoms and opportunities that exist in this country?

NICKI PECCHENINO
Scotts Valley, Santa Cruz County

©2001 San Francisco Chronicle Page E - 6

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/06/24/BU148128.DTL&type=business

* * *