From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 18:07:46  -0700
Subject: URGENT! Contact Members of Congress in Home Districts June
29-July 8.

UPDATE:  Thanks to your phone calls last week in response to our alert,
we have once again been able to avert a negative decision by the
Administration on stem cell research.  We know that the tens of thousands
of calls that you are making are being heard at the White House.  Your
efforts are paying off and support is growing.  Just today, the Wall
Street Journal announced that Americans support stem cell research by a 3
to 1 margin.  Also, more than 40 House Republicans just wrote a letter to
President Bush urging his support for the research.

ACTION:  However, we cannot rest.  A decision is expected by the
Administration within two weeks. We are asking you to contact your
Members of Congress in your home states over the next week to express
support for research involving stem cells derived from fertilized eggs.
Members of Congress have returned to home districts for congressional
recess this week, June 29-July 8.  THIS IS AN EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY TO
CALL THEM OR SEE THEM IN THEIR HOME DISTRICTS AND STATES TO URGE THEM TO
SUPPORT FEDERAL FUNDING FOR EMBRYONIC STEM CELL RESEARCH AND ASK THEM TO
CALL THE WHITE HOUSE AND URGE SUPPORT.

We are asking you to try to meet with your Members of Congress (or visit
with them at local events) or call their local DISTRICT (not in
Washington, DC) offices and express your support for stem cell research.

Try to meet with your representative and senators if they will be in your
local areas or at events (such as July 4 parades, town hall meetings,
community gatherings, etc.) and ask for his or her support for stem cell
research. Call the local district offices of your representative and
senators and tell the office that you support federal funding of
embryonic stem cell research.

Call their DISTRICT office phone number and ask the following:

Will the representative or senators be at any local events in your area
or available for an appointment with you?

If so, please make an appointment or attend the event.  If not, tell the
office that you:

* support federal funding for embryonic stem cell research; ask what
his/her position on the issue is (if they do not know, ask them to call
you back).
* would like the representative or senator to contact the White House
about his/her support with a letter or phone call
Your efforts are making a difference and we are closer than ever to
saving stem cell research and providing 100 million Americans who suffer
from diseases with more hope for medical breakthroughs.  For more
information about stem cell research, please visit
www.stemcellfunding.org.
Please share this alert with family and friends.
Please contact CAMR with questions or if you need further information at