Support life _ support research on stem cells
Friday, July 6, 2001

Despite too-little exercise and residual fondness for things unhealthy
like junk food and cigarettes, Americans as a whole are living longer
than ever, as epitomized by a Coldwater woman, Maud Farris-Luse,
who claims to be 114 years old.

Yet very  serious life-shortening diseases like cancer, Alzheimer's
and Parkinson's, are still very much with us.

There is great promise for a cure for these and other killer diseases
in embryonic stem-cell research. However, the fact that these are
human cells derived from in-vitro fertilization have raised questions
over whether this amounts to tampering with human life _ and has
led President Bush to consider cutting federal research funds.

That would be a mistake, as we see it. The research would proceed
much more quickly with federal contributions adding to private
money.  Moreover, the fact is that such cells, which give rise to all
the body's organs and tissues, would simply be thrown away
anyway.

So often when religion and science collide, there is little middle
ground. But in this case there seems to be some room for nuance
discussion. Even arch-conservative abortion foes like Sen. Orrin
Hatch now find themselves on the side of stem-cell research.

"I have searched my conscience," he said last week. "I just
cannot equate a child living in the womb, with moving toes
and fingers and a beating heart, with an embryo in a freezer."

President Bush could easily resolve his opposition to abortion
by stating a sincere a desire to prolong life.  Sen. Hatch has
written the president to say that research on these so-called
master cells is "legal, scientifically compelling and ethically
sound." And his opposition to any destruction of living human
embryos on the government's part could be solved by carefully
removing the stem cells from the embryos themselves before
research is conducted.

Bush promised to revoke the Clinton policy on stem-cell research,
but soon after taking office decided to hold off, pending a review
of the science and ethics involved in the research. His final decision
will go far in determining whether research funds are included in the
Department of Health and Human Services' budget next fall.

Meanwhile, a large segment of the scientific community, including
80 Nobel laureates and 112 university presidents, have pleaded
with the president not to halt funding. What effect their arguments
will ultimately have is uncertain, given the relatively little heed the
president has given to scientific opinion on such matters as missile
defense and global warming.

We hope he assents.

A president who considers himself as strongly pro-life
as Bush does could hardly do otherwise.

http://mu.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/stories/20010706medit6mnewe.frm

* * *