Jul 5, 2001
Caregivers' needs on center stage as grant arrives
LINDSAY PETERSON
of The Tampa Tribune

TAMPA - Congress approved last year for family caregivers.
Now comes the hard part is figuring out what to do with it.

``It's hard to know what would really help,'' said Maureen Kelly,
executive director of the West Central Florida Area Agency
on Aging, which covers five counties, including Hillsborough.

The needs are so broad that ``we could spend it all tomorrow
and not make a difference,'' Kelly said.

``We want to do this right,'' said Sally Gronda, head of the
Pasco-Pinellas Area Agency on Aging, who's working with Kelly
and researchers at the University of South Florida to figure out
what Tampa Bay area caregivers need.

They plan to hold public hearings this summer.

Nearly $1.5 million is coming to the Bay area through the National
Family Caregiver Support Program, approved last year.

Also, Gronda's agency is working with St. Petersburg Junior
College, which received a $560,000 federal grant to help caregivers
in Pinellas County.

The money is not for the older person disabled by a stroke or
Parkinson's or Alzheimer's disease. It's for the friend or family
member who's taking care of that person.

National studies show that 80 percent of older people who need
help depend on these ``informal'' caregivers, and often elders end
up in nursing homes not because their illnesses get worse, but
because their caregivers get sick or die.

The Florida Department of Elder Affairs estimates 1.4 million people
in the state are caring for an older family member or friend. These
are spouses, grown children and neighbors who pick up groceries,
prepare the elders' meals, organize medications, and even bathe
and dress them.

The national money could go for any number of things, said Elder
Affairs Secretary Gema Hernandez, including training, counseling
and respite.

``We need to find ways to make caregivers' lives easier,'' Gronda
said.

A lot of caregivers call the Elder Helpline, Kelly said. But they're
not looking for a meal or anything like that. They're asking,
``What do I do? How do I cope?''

Many already are receiving respite care, which is designed to give
them time to rest or leave the house.

``But maybe they're only getting a couple of hours a week,'' Gronda
said. ``That's not enough.''

Mike Thomas runs a caregivers support group for University
Community Hospital in Tampa, and he has seen the changes in the
people who come.

Most are women whose husbands have had strokes or have
Parkinson's or Alzheimer's disease.

``The constant stress and responsibility, the 24-hour effort to
keep them out of a nursing home. It just chips away at
them,''
he said. They get sick more often. They start having falls. They
begin fighting high blood pressure.

``It just takes away all their energy,'' he said.

The one thing they all need is to get away and rest, he said.
And they need to know that their husbands are in good hands.

Researchers from USF's Florida Policy Exchange Center on Aging
plan to interview caregivers to learn where the needs are greatest.
And Gronda expects to hear a lot of calls for more respite care and
adult day care.

``We know people need more relief,'' she said. But she hopes to
find a new way to provide it.

She and Kelly hope to use their caregiver money to develop the
ideas of some new organizations, neighborhood groups or
support groups, for instance.

``We want to use this as an opportunity to reach out,'' Kelly said.

For more information about the National Family Caregiver Support
Program, call (202) 619-7501 or go to
http://www.aoa.gov

For more information about long-term care options in Florida,
go to the Tribune Caregivers Guide via
http://health.tbo.com

Lindsay Peterson covers aging issues and can be reached at
(813) 259-7834 or [log in to unmask]

http://www.tampatrib.com/News/MGAI8DOTSOC.html

* * *