Published Friday, July 6, 2001
Wellstone urges Bush to allow federal funding of stem cell research
Statewire

WASHINGTON (AP)  -- Citing his own family history, Sen. Paul
Wellstone urged President Bush on Friday to allow federal funding
for embryonic stem cell research.

Wellstone, a Minnesota Democrat, suggested that the research
could help find cures for diseases like Parkinson's Disease, which
afflicted his late parents.

"This disease destroyed my dad," Wellstone wrote in a letter
to the president. "When he could no longer walk or even talk,
he lost his will to live. I hope and pray this will not be the fate
of those struggling with Parkinson's Disease today."

President Bush is expected to decide later this month whether
to allow federal funds for embryonic stem cell research.

Some anti-abortion lawmakers oppose the research because
gathering the stem cells  -- master cells that can be grown into
virtually any tissue in the human body  -- requires the death
of a human embryo.

But others, such as Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, a prominent
abortion opponent, support the research.

Wellstone said that the research could help save lives, and
therefore "upholds the sanctity of human life" -- a phrase
used by abortion opponents. Wellstone supports abortion
rights.

"Mr. President, the health of millions of Americans could
depend on the effective and ethical conduct of this potentially
lifesaving medical research," he wrote. "I hope you will
support the appropriate federal role in its continuation."

http://www2.startribune.com/stOnLine/cgi-bin/article?thisStory=84493927

* * *