   Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 11:00:22 EDT
   From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Unaffected Embryo Preselected as Cord Blood Donor to Sibling

Unaffected Embryo Preselected as Cord Blood Donor to Sibling

WESTPORT, CT (Reuters Health) Jun 26 - It took four tries, but
investigators
have successfully preselected a healthy embryo to be HLA-compatible with a
sibling with Fanconi anemia who needed stem cell transplantation.

A full report appears in the June 27th issue of The Journal of the American
Medical Association. Reuters Health previously reported on the case based
on
hospital news releases

http://www.medscape.com/reuters/prof/2000/10/10.03/20001002prof003.html
October 2,2000

http://www.medscape.com/reuters/prof/2000/10/10.20/20001019ethc001.html
October 19, 2000

http://www.medscape.com/reuters/prof/2001/01/01.08/20010105ethc002.html
January 5, 2001

A couple with a 6-year-old daughter with the congenital disorder underwent
in vitro fertilization at the Reproductive Genetics Institute in Chicago.
Dr. Yury Verlinsky and colleagues conducted micromanipulation procedures to
biopsy single blastomeres from day-3 cleaving embryos.

"In this stage, each cell is still multipotent," making the procedure safe
for the developing fetus, Dr. Verlinsky told Reuters Health. He noted that
this was the first case in the world in which HLA matching was performed in
preimplantation embryos. Since then, he and his colleagues have conducted
similar testing for "about 15 new patients," he said.

Of 33 embryos tested during four clinical cycles, five were heterozygous
unaffected and HLA-antigen identical with the sibling. Transfer of one of
these embryos during the last cycle resulted in a clinical pregnancy and
birth of a healthy infant boy. Umbilical cord blood transplantation
resulted
in successful hematopoietic reconstitution in the older sister.

Dr. Verlinsky's group suggests that preimplantation genetic testing and HLA
matching will be feasible for other inherited conditions, such as
thalassemias. HLA antigen testing in single blastomeres could also be
conducted for couples who have children with cancer who need an
HLA-compatible donor.

In an editorial, Dr. Marian D. Damewood of the Johns Hopkins University
School of Medicine in Baltimore discusses the ethical implications of the
report. She suggests that "in this case, prediagnostic genetic diagnosis
and
embryo selection is morally justifiable."

"The avoidance of the pain and suffering of an affected child is considered
to be worth more than the moral status of early embryos," she writes.

She opines, however, that this procedure is not likely to be considered
ethical for couples wishing to select an embryo with a specific nonmedical
characteristic, which she refers to as "designer genetics."

JAMA 2001;285:3130-3133,3143-3144.

Message: 3