The National Review
Cell Games  -  Newsweek vs. pro-lifers.
By NR’s John J. Miller & Ramesh Ponnuru
July 3, 2001 3:00 p.m.

The cover of the latest issue of Newsweek is pretty remarkable.
No, we're not referring to the line above the logo — "Behind
'Scary Movie 2'" — although we do wonder who exactly wants
to go there. What's remarkable is that the cover more or less
announces the bias of the cover story.

From top to bottom, the cover text reads: "The Stem Cell Wars:
Embryo Research vs. Pro-Life Politics: There's Hope for
Alzheimer's, Heart Disease, Parkinson's and Diabetes. But Will
Bush Cut Off the Money?"  Why didn't the magazine just go
all the way?   "Science vs. Pro-Life Fanatics: Will Bush Condemn
Millions of People to Lingering, Painful Deaths?"

The image on the cover is of a three-day-old human embryo.
Most people will look at that image and think, "That doesn't
look like a human being at all." (This reaction, while
understandable, is irrational: In fact, the embryo looks exactly
the way a human being looks three days after conception.)

It's perfectly fair and reasonable for Newsweek to use the image.
We would note only that it is unimaginable that Newsweek would
use an image that loaded in the opposite direction. A story on
abortion would be much more likely to be illustrated with
a coat-hanger than a sonogram of a five-month-old fetus.
(Let alone a dismembered fetus.)
The stories inside the magazine are exactly what you'd expect,
given the cover and Newsweek's general proclivities. The lead
story, by Sharon Begley, is the longest. It summarizes the science
well and, as far as we can tell, fairly. Proponents of stem-cell
research get to make their case at length. Opponents are quoted
too: They get exactly two words (eleven letters) in. And that
quote is immediately rebutted, unlike any of the pro-research
quotes. Here's how the piece concludes: Not funding stem-cell
research would amount to "squelching what is, more than
anything, a quest for knowledge. We simply don't know how
embryonic cells might help people who are suffering and dying
today. By banning the research, we uphold the most extreme
view of the sanctity of life, but at a price: foreclosing the
possibility of doing all we can to improve the lot of the living."

Set aside that bit about extremism. Any research, including
research on humans that most people would find objectionable,
can legitimately be described as "a quest for knowledge." And the
reference to "the living" skates right by the actual subject of
the dispute-whether the embryos are in fact living human beings.
(They're not dead, and they're not inanimate.)

Next come three pages on the politics of the research from
Evan Thomas and — uh oh — Eleanor Clift. Subhead: "The
president is trapped between religion and science over stem
cells." Here's a flavor of what the article is like: "Pure politics
helps explain why the White House has long been expected
to ban federal funding for research on stem cells extracted
from human embryos. . . . And yet Bush is clearly discovering
that the politics and ethics of stem-cell research are more
complicated than a simple 'no' from the federal government.

By a 3-1 margin, the public wants to go forward with research
that has the potential to provide magical [!!] cures for a host
of neurological and other diseases." The article concludes with
some helpful suggestions on how President Bush can betray
stem-cell opponents without suffering too much political damage.

Finally, a note of fairness: The magazine's religion correspondent,
Kenneth Woodward, has a short piece on the ethics of stem-cell
research that doesn't have a conclusion to pound us over the head
with. But for a fair treatment of the issues around embryonic
stem-cell research, ignore Newsweek altogether and get a copy
of Neil Munro's piece in the latest National Journal.

It's no surprise that many pro-life Republicans have folded on
this issue, given the intense pressure from the media and their
own confusion. All the more credit to Dick Armey, Tom DeLay,
and J. C. Watts for standing firm. The three House leaders
released a strong joint statement yesterday on the subject.

Among their remarks: "The federal government cannot morally
look the other way with respect to the destruction of human
embryos, then accept and pay for extracted stem cells. . . . We
can find cures with life-affirming, not life-destroying, methods
that are becoming more promising with each day."

http://www.nationalreview.com/daily/nr070301.shtml

* * *