Thurmond backs human embryo stem cell research
Saturday, June 30, 2001
BY STEVE PIACENTE
Of The Post and Courier staff

WASHINGTON - Sen. Strom Thurmond, known for his support
of traditional causes such as a strong military and states' rights,
has emerged as a vocal proponent of medical research that uses
stem cells from embryos.

Thurmond, R-S.C., an abortion opponent except in cases of rape,
incest or when pregnancy threatens a mother's life, is one of
several lawmakers about to sign a letter from Sen. Arlen Specter,
R-Pa., that urges President Bush to allow federal funds for the
controversial research.

Bush will make a decision on the matter next month. A spokesman
this week said that the president's guiding belief is that "life should
not be destroyed to save or make another life."

Thurmond, who gets perfect scores from groups such as the
Christian Coalition and National Right to Life Committee and
failing marks from Planned Parenthood and the National
Reproductive Rights Action League, said Friday that he counts
himself a strong advocate of medical research.

"Stem cell research could potentially treat and cure such
maladies as multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's,
heart disease, various types of cancer, and diabetes ... "
he said in a statement.

"I am encouraged by this pioneering science and support
federal funding for its research," the senator said.

Anti-abortion forces are strongly opposed. The Christian
Coalition says proponents are "trying to legitimize the killing
of living human embryos for the sake of scientific research."

"If the U.S. government were to place its stamp of approval
on this destructive research, it would be the first time that
our government has declared that a non-consenting human
being may be exploited and killed for experimental research
purposes," the Coalition contends.

The National Institutes of Health says the research "has the
potential to revolutionize the practice of medicine and improve
the quality and length of life."

Stem cells have the ability "to divide for indefinite periods in
culture and to give rise to specialized cells," according to NIH.

Abnormal cell specialization and division are blamed for cancer,
birth defects and other serious medical conditions.

"A better understanding of normal cell processes will allow us
to further delineate the fundamental errors that often cause
these often deadly diseases," the agency says.

A recent ABC News poll found that Americans support using
federal funds for the research by a 2-1 margin.

Thurmond notes that the research he favors uses stem cells
derived from embryos that were created for in-vitro fertilization,
"but were not used and will be discarded."

The 98-year-old senator also said he opposes cloning and the
creation of embryos for research purposes.

"I am disappointed those issues have been injected into the
debate over federal funding for stem cell research," he said.

Thurmond, who declined an interview request, has favored
fetal tissue research since at least 1992, when he told a reporter,
"I don't look at it as an abortion issue at all. It's purely a health
issue as far as I'm concerned."

Thurmond also said his stance is not tied to the fact that his
daughter is an insulin-dependent diabetic.

"I'd take the same position whether my daughter had diabetes
or not," he said nearly a decade ago. "Course it comes home
more that she does."

Rep. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., who's running for Thurmond's
Senate seat next year, has not yet taken a position on the matter.

"The home run would be some alternative that would accomplish
the same research without having to invade the embryos,"
Graham said.

Rep. Henry Brown, R-S.C., said, "It's a pretty emotional thing.
I would hope the stem cells would be the last resort. I don't
support it at this point."

Steve Piacente covers Washington. Contact him at 301-340-8646
or [log in to unmask]

http://www.charleston.net/pub/news/world-national/thurm0630.htm

* * *