Murray Charters sent to PIEN on 7/7/01 the Tampa Tribune article by Lindsay Peterson about what to do w/grant moneys for family caregivers.  If you have had experience of this 24hr/7day a week job of caregiving, what do you think is the way financial assistance would best help you with the struggle to care for your loved one?

My elderly father cared for my mom who has Alzheimer's in their home for 3-4 yrs.  He was finally so exhausted carrying for her that his own health suffered.  Finding competent, caring, reliable home health respite workers was very difficult and frustrating.  More in home health aides to come into the home and allow the caregiver time to get out, time to just nap or time to do needed errands would be a good use of grant money for family caregivers, IMHO.

I'm hoping before my PD is very disabling, my husband will agree to our living in or near assisted living so he can still fish, hunt, or just do something for himself and know I'm in good hands.  Noone wants to be a burden to their family.

Jeanette Fuhr 50/47/44?