At 20:30 2001/07/13 -0700, Murray Charters wrote:
>Hi jp,
>Autoresponders are software programs that can reply to different
>sources - you can have them reply to either the from, return-path
>or reply-to headers of incoming email or to the 1st or 2nd email ID
>in the body of the email.
>
>Depending on the configuration, an incoming e-mail will trigger
>an automatic "answer" to the "individual" that posted the message,
>even though a LISTSERV acts as an intermediary....
>
>Type PromaSoft in Google... (I b'lieve they have a freeware
>autoresponder you can download 'n play with...)
>
>All the best ....... murray

hi murr

yep i know what auto-responders are
it was the inter-action with the listserv that i didn't get

we had some activity here a couple of years ago when the list
configuration was changed from reply-to list to reply-to sender
which was given a trial of a month or two and then was changed back

i had done some reading in detail on the subject then
l-soft were doing their darndest to keep the auto-repliers and spammers
out of their 46,000 list owners' hair
and had configured listserv to verify valid e-mail addresses

it seems odd to me that we have been getting auto-responder messages
only in the past few weeks

maybe there's a new auto-responder program on the market
which has been taught new tricks

so do we know how the mjff situation got resolved?
did jeff holder let us know?

janet

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky .
pd: 54/41/37 cd: 54/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask] .
snail mail: 375 Country Street, Apt 301, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0 .