[This message is being sent to multiple lists -- please excuse any
duplication.]

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:20:54 -0400
From: Meredith Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Call for Support: Hearing and Press Conference

Please forward this important notice to as many people in the
Washington, DC area as you can!
We need your support and participation in these
upcoming events on Capitol Hill:

#1. What: Press Conference in support of Embryonic Stem Cell Research;
speakers will include Hon. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY), Hon. Connie Morella
(R-MD), and
Parkinson's Action Network (PAN) President Joan Samuelson

When: Tuesday, 17 July 2001, 1:00 pm

Where: House Triangle; In front of the steps of the Capitol, on the East side
(towards the Cannon House Office Building). Near the intersection of 1st
Street SE and Independence Avenue, Washington, DC.

#2. What: Congressional Hearing; Government Reform Subcommittee on Criminal
Justice, Drug Policy, and Human Resources. The Subcommittee's Hearing will
be opposed to embryonic stem cell research and most of the witnesses will
testify accordingly, in opposition to the research. PAN President Joan
Samuelson as well as Dr. Goldstein, Scientific Officer for the Juvenile
Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF), are scheduled to testify in favor of
embryonic stem cell
research.

When: Tuesday, 17 July 2001, 2:00 pm
Where:2154 Rayburn House Office Building; Near the intersection of
Independence Avenue and South Capitol Street, SW, Washington, DC.

Your support will help us to bring more attention to the importance of
embryonic stem
cell research. Please try to attend; and bring as many of your friends and
family as you are able. This is for the Parkinson's community and beyond.
All those interested in
stem cell research should attend to show their support. Contact us at PAN
if you have any
questions.

TO:  PD Advocates

As you know, the issue Embryonic Stem Cell research has taking over the
city of Washington and the entire nation. There has been an immense amount
of press attention/coverage on this issue and President Bush's decision.
And, while the president does need to hear from everyone on this issue, PAN
feels that we should focus our energy on Congress in the next week. PAN,
along with CAMR will be calling for another wave of calls into the White
House switch board soon- we are hoping to repeat the success of the last
wave of calls, which shut down the White House switch board.  We will let
you know as soon as we continue to learn about when the President is likely
to announce his decision. So, we would urge everyone to focus on the Hill
tomorrow and next week!

Why?
Next week there will be two Congressional Hearing on stem cells. The first
will be held on Tuesday, July 17th- House Government Reform Subcommittee
on Criminal Justice and Drug Policy -which will focus on the scientific
merit of adult stem cell research and attempt to discredit embryonic stem
cell research.  Joan Samuelson, President of PAN will be testifying at this
hearing. The second will be held on Wednesday, July 18th: Senate
Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor HHS- which will focus on embryonic
stem cells.
Both of these hearing are in the process of setting there agendas and
witnesses lists. Media attention and the attention of members will be
focused on this issue next week. So, we need to seize this opportunity and
make our voices  heard.
Action!
Call your Representative and your Senators.
1.If they are already in support of embryonic stem cell research, thank
them for there support!!
2. If the are a "fencesitter" on embryonic stem cell- Urge them to support
this life saving research- let them know your vote depends on it.
3. If they against embryonic stem cell research- Urge them to look at the
issue again! Let them know where your stand.

The capitol switch board number is 202-224-3121 or 202-225-3121.  or visit
www.house.gov or http://www.senate.gov to locate your Congressperson or
Senator.