Janet wrote:
> i wonder if it might be possible (assuming the patient is
> conscious and cognizant) for the parky's physician to set up a
> "self-medication" protocol so that pd patients can take their
> pd meds on their own without bothering the nursing/medical
> staff at all? or would this undercut the awareness value of
> the education/discussion efforts?

We have already established a protocol at my hospital for patients who must
take their own meds because of time or special med issues.  The resident
physician must write the med order on the patient's chart followed by the
instruction that the meds will remain at the bedside.  The pharmacist then
must check the specified med to insure that it is what the prescription
specifies (medication bottles containing the med are sent to pharmacy and
then returned).  As far as I know, we have never had a problem with the
protocol.  As a nurse, I prefer that patients take their own meds -
providing that they are alert and oriented to time, place, and self.  That
way I don't have to worry about whether a patient is receiving their meds on
time.
-------
God bless
Mary Ann Ryan (CG Jamie 61/21)