>    Subject: Re: medical care of PD patients
>    From: Camilla Flintermann <[log in to unmask]>
>    Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:46:45 -0400

Charlie-- I suspect you are right about self-dosing not being legal. In
fact, I believe that for the CG to give the meds is technically illegal
too--though our local hospital allowed me to do that when the doctor
charted it.
However, I was interested that you said the exact time of doses must be
charted--in the NH where Peter was at first they simply charted that the
meds were given or refused---NOT the time given, and this was a problem
with his tight PD schedule and their one hour leeway---impossible for one
nurse to tell when the previous shift had REALLY given the meds, so they
could be either too close, or too far apart.  I have to wonder if they were
negligent in not noting the time , or whether a NH is exempted from that
requirement?

>Janet,
>
>No it would not necessarily stop the education but it probably is not  good
>practice or legal.  Records must be kept for each medication and the time
>it is given.  I think that we could be responsible for getting the exact
>time for a single dose and telling the nurse when she came into the room
>but I think there would be too much fear of liability if more than one med
>was given to take and something happened if the patient misdosed themselves.
>
>Charlie

Camilla Flintermann, former CG for Peter 83/70/55
                     Oxford, Ohio

           on the web at   http://www.geocities.com/camillahf/index.html
           and also at   http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm

               "Ask me about the CARE list for Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "
           And visit the CARE webring at http://www.pdcaregiver.org