>    Subject: WARNING -- SEVERE CNS DAMAGE AS A RESULT OF DIATHERMY FOR DBS
PATIENTS
>    From: Margaret Tuchman <[log in to unmask]>
>    Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:45:48 -0400

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

DBS and diathermy interaction induces severe CNS damage
JG Nutt, VC Anderson, JH Peacock, JP Hammerstad, KJ Burchiel
Neurology 2001;56:1384-1386

Diathermy following tooth extraction caused severe brain injury in a
patient with implanted DBS electrodes, according to this report. Nineteen
months following implantation of bilateral electrodes in the STN for
Parkinson's disease, the patient underwent maxillary tooth extraction
followed by radiofrequency diathermy, in which the induction coil was
placed on alternate cheeks to induce heating of the tissue to hasten
recovery. By the end of the one-hour procedure, the patient could not be
aroused and was insensitive to pain. MRI revealed bilateral lesions in the
immediate vicinity of the electrodes. The patient was ultimately discharged
to a skilled nursing facility with little recovery of motor function or
consciousness. The authors state, "Our case illustrates that exposure of
the [implantable pulse generator], leads or electrodes to high-energy
electric or magnetic fields poses a danger for tissue damage in the region
of the electrodes...It is important for the physicians to be aware of this
adverse event and to educate their patients to avoid exposure to RF
diathermy in the vicinity of the IPGs, leads and electrodes."

Copyright 2000 WE MOVE
Editor: Richard Robinson ([log in to unmask])