>    Subject: NEWS: U.S. Donors Provide Eggs, Sperm to Make Stem Cells
>    From: Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
>    Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:54:03 -0700

U.S. Donors Provide Eggs, Sperm to Make Stem Cells
By Will Dunham

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - For the first time, scientists have
created stem cells from human embryos using eggs and sperm
from volunteers who made the donations for the explicit
purpose of providing tissue for medical research, according
to a study published on Wednesday.

Scientists at the Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine
at the Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk said 12
women donated eggs and two men donated sperm to create
embryos that, yielded a reservoir of stem cell tissue.

Most research on embryonic stem cells involves tissue
from embryos created in a technique for couples having
trouble conceiving a baby called in vitro fertilization.
The egg is fertilized in a test tube, then implanted in the
uterus.

Several eggs are fertilized, and embryos left behind after
the procedure can be donated for stem cell research.

But scientists at the Jones Institute, which fostered in 1981
the first test-tube baby born in America, recruited donors
specifically to create embryos for use in medical research,
not live births.

Stem cells are master cells that can transform themselves
into any type of cell in the body. They offer the potential
of regenerating damaged organs or tissue. Many scientists
believe stem cells can be used therapeutically in treating
brain maladies such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases,
diabetes, heart attacks, strokes and spinal cord injuries.

In their paper in the journal Fertility & Sterility, published
by the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM),
the researchers wrote that their work was "ethically and
scientifically justifiable" and it was "our duty to provide
humankind with the best understanding of early human
development." They said they underwent a rigorous four-tier
ethics review process before proceeding.

'REALLY GHOULISH'
But opponents of using human embryos in medical research
denounced the work.

"This is really ghoulish -- creating human embryos for the
specific purpose of destroying them," said Douglas Johnson,
legislative director for National Right to Life, a group that
opposes abortion and embryonic stem cell research. "It's totally
wrong to kill human embryos for research."

The study was published amid a national debate over stem
cell research. President Bush is expected soon to decide
whether federal funds can be used for research involving
embryonic stem cells.

"There's a tremendous interest in stem cells and their
potential from the standpoint of their clinical application to
humans," said Dr. William E. Gibbons, chairman of the
department of obstetrics and gynecology at Eastern Virginia
Medical School and spokesman for the researchers.
"I'm not going to be surprised to see intelligent people
of good faith having differences in their opinions in this
process."

Gibbons said there are advantages to choosing the donors
of eggs and sperm in creating embryonic stem cells. For
example, younger women produce higher quality eggs,
he said. Women whose eggs are fertilized using in vitro
techniques generally are in their mid-30s, relatively late
in their child-bearing years.

CAREFUL SCREENING
Donors were carefully screened before being accepted,
the researchers said. They were given physical tests to
guarantee they were healthy and were interviewed by
a psychologist to ensure they understood the study
and had no emotional problems before being asked to
consent to take part, they added.

"We felt that we had the purest form of informed consent
from the standpoint that everybody knew from the
beginning how this was going to unfold," Gibbons said.

The researchers said the sperm and eggs were collected
and joined for fertilization using standard in vitro fertilization
methods. Some 162 eggs were collected from the 12 women.
Following insemination, 110 were fertilized, and 40 developed to
the blastocyst stage -- at which the multiplying cells formed a
tiny ball. At the end of the process, within about two weeks,
there were three healthy embryonic stem cell lines --
essentially reservoirs of stem cells awaiting use in research.

Gibbons said the research was approved after a careful
ethics review by four different bodies. Members of the clergy,
ethicists and lawyers were involved in the process, he said.

A 1995 U.S. law prohibits federal money for research in which
a human embryo would be destroyed or placed at risk.

"What they did could not have been federally funded.
But it's perfectly legal," said John Robertson, University
of Texas law school professor who heads the ASRM's ethics
committee.

"They certainly went through a full-scale, intensive ethics
review process -- no question about that," Robertson added.

SOURCE: Reuters
http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/US/reuters20010711_35.html

* * *