further additions to the earlier thread:

----------------------------
lc_lil
posted 07-08-2001 11:10 PM
----------------------------

This weekend we kept our neighbor's dog, "Smokie". Some of you might
remember him from a post long ago about a fire in my neighborhood. I had to
watch Smokie during the fire while my neighbor went to the airport. He has
stayed with us frequently since then. Smokie must sleep in your bed, and he
only eats certain things. He does his very best to understand you when you
speak, tilting his head back and forth in concentration.

The reason we had Smokie was because my neighbor's mother died. She had
Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, they said. When they got back, my neighbor sat
and talked for awhile. I asked what the cause of death was. She said, "Well
they said it was the Parkinson's." I said, "Did she have pneumonia?" No she
didn't. "Did she have a feeding tube?" No. "Could she move?" Yes. Then she
told me that they said the mother wasn't eating, but when she would visit
her the mother ate. I said, "could she walk?" The answer was no, but not
because of PD, she had a bad hip that they never fixed. I asked,"How old
was she?" "How long did she have Parkinson's?" These answers surprised me
the most of all. She was 67 and had only had it for 7 years. However, she
was diagnosed with Alzheimers also.

This doesn't sound right to me. I questioned further, about the Alzheimers.
She said she died from whichever affects the brain, the cells. I said,
"They both affect the brain." She did say that she was on oxygen toward the
end. She added, "I think she died of a broken heart. She never got over the
Jim and Tammy Baker scam. She had given them everything.

This sounds like neglect to me. Not neccessarily on my neighbor's part,
although they are astoundingly uneducated about the illnesses. Reason for
death: Parkinson's. She could still eat and they ignored her hip. She had
the shaky kind of Parkinson's, she said. This woman was only 67.

There are many lessons to be learned here, obviously. They don't know, not
even the medical profession. This woman was in a home.

SCARY and SAD
lil

----------------------------
janet313313
posted 07-09-2001 01:44 AM
----------------------------

lil, my heart aches for the woman who died possibly needlessly except maybe
to send us a lesson we will never forget

we have to become our own best advocates when it comes to managing pd long
term

no one else is going to do it for us

education and titration are IT!

read joe's story and remember it well

http://www.geocities.com/janet313/pienet/joestory/index.html

janet

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky .
pd: 54/41/37 cd: 54/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask] .
snail mail: 375 Country Street, Apt 301, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0 .