USA TODAY
07/09/2001 - Updated 03:06 PM ET
Mary Tyler Moore lobbies for diabetes research
By W. Reed Moran, Spotlight Health
With medical adviser Stephen A. Shoop, M.D.

Being able to view life through the eyes and heart of a child is a gift
most people lose after dealing with the disappointments and
demands of adulthood. But for Mary Tyler Moore, maintaining her
youthful exuberance, openness and optimism is essential to living
fully at any stage in life.

"What most adults fail to remember," says the star of long-running
Mary Tyler Moore Show, "is that childhood is often filled with
challenges, fears, and uncertainties as daunting as any we face
decades later."

But sometimes fate steps in to bridge this generational gap of empathy
and understanding. "I was diagnosed with 'juvenile' or Type 1 diabetes
over 30 years ago," says the five-time Emmy-winning actress. "It was
initially terrifying, but as an adult, I was much better equipped to deal
with this challenge than a young child." Although Moore has since
undergone multiple procedures to combat complications of her disease,
she refuses to complain about her condition.

What Moore does focus on is the suffering of young children and our
national responsibility to work to find a cure. "A child with Type 1
diabetes is a living time bomb," says Moore. "Each child faces a future
with the risk of early blindness, kidney failure, amputation, heart attack,
and stroke."

Moore adds that the attendant psychological and emotional burden
can be devastating to young diabetes patients. "Even if they do all
they can to be as normal as possible, they're not," says Moore "And
long before these children become old, they're forced to face the
possibility of their own mortality."

In the face of these stark realities, Moore has devoted a great deal
of her time to ending the affliction. For the past 17 years, Moore has
been the international chairperson of the Juvenile Diabetes Research
Foundation (JDRF), the largest contributor to diabetes research of
any non-profit, non-governmental health agency in the world.

Supported by experts and 200 young diabetes patients, Moore
recently lobbied Capitol Hill as chair of JDRF's second Children's
Congress.

Moore and other advocates hope to increase both awareness of
and funding for the disease.

Diabetes basics
More than 1 million people in the USA have Type 1 diabetes,
an autoimmune disorder that destroys insulin-producing cells
in the pancreas.

The disease strikes more than 30,000 Americans each year,
including 13,000 children. Type 1 diabetes makes patients
insulin-dependent for life, and carries the constant threat of
devastating complications.

The JDRF reports that:
Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure, adult blindness,
and non-traumatic amputations in the USA.

People with diabetes are two to four times more likely to suffer
a heart attack or stroke.

Life expectancy of people with diabetes is shortened by an average
of 15 years.

Early diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes is the major weapon in forestalling
the onset of significant complications. Symptoms may occur suddenly
and include:

Extreme thirst

Frequent urination

Sudden weight loss or vision changes

Fruity odor on the breath

Labored breathing

Lethargy

Diligently controlling blood sugar levels is critical to the health and
survival of diabetes patients. But managing the condition is
anything but easy.

Despite rigorous attention to diet, exercise and maintaining the
proper amount of insulin, many other factors can adversely affect
a patient's blood sugar control. These include hormonal changes,
growth periods, physical activity, medications, illness, and fatigue.

To date, even the best care is not able to prevent eventual
serious complications from diabetes. That's why Moore and
others strongly advocate federal funding for the enormous
promise held in embryonic stem cell research.

"Science is on the verge of many treatments that can and
will lead to a cure of this disease," says Moore. "But we can't
make that final leap without federal funding to supplement
ongoing efforts, especially in the area of stem cell research."

"Stem cells have the unique capacity to become any type
of cell, tissue or organ as they mature, yet they cannot
themselves develop into a full human being," says Dr. Richard
Furlanetto, scientific director of the JDRF.

Furlanetto explains that one of the most promising ways
to cure diabetes is to restore the insulin-producing function
of islet cells in the pancreas. "At the present time, this can
occur either through islet cell transplantation or by engineering
stem cells to secrete insulin," says Furlanetto.

However, Furlanetto says that islet cell transplantation on a
large scale remains an impractical goal. "We have 1 million
Americans with Type 1 diabetes, and fewer than 30,000 organ
donors each year."

"The only immediate practical hope for a cure for this disease
lies in embryonic stem cell research," says Furlanetto. "If we
can coax these cells to become insulin-producing islet cells,
we have the potential to create an unlimited number and
effectively solve the islet cell supply problem."

Federal funding is critically necessary to make this final scientific
leap in the near future. But funding has encountered opposition
from many who find it unacceptable to destroy human embryos.

"While embryonic stem cell research is perfectly legal," says Moore
"our biggest obstacle is people's misunderstanding of what it
actually involves."

Furlanetto explains that the JDRF is specifically seeking federal
funding to use human stem cells derived from in vitro fertilization
(IVF). "When a woman becomes pregnant through IVF, her doctors
are often left with excess fertilized eggs which are never implanted
or utilized," says Furlanetto. "Without implantation in the uterus,
these excess embryos never have the capacity to develop into
human beings."

The unfortunate result, according to Furlanetto, is that these excess
embryos are simply discarded. "The tragedy is that the number of
stem cells potentially available through these discarded embryos
is more than sufficient to conduct the research needed to cure
innumerable diseases," says Furlanetto.

"Studies have shown that when the issue is explained clearly,
up to 71% of the American public would approve federal funding
of embryonic stem cell research to cure diabetes, Parkinson's
and other diseases," says Moore.

Moore recounts that after her Capitol Hill testimony on this issue,
she encountered conservative Sen. Jesse Helms in the hallway.
"He smiled graciously, saying that while at his age, he's pretty
set in his ways, 'your argument took me halfway there.'"

"My hope is that all Americans will join in to help convince
Congress to take that final step to fund research," says Moore.
"In the end, it's all about realizing our interconnectedness,
mutual compassion, and hope for the future."

SOURCE: USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlight/2001-07-09-moore-diabetes.htm

* * *