>    Subject: NEWS: BBC: Ecstasy 'damages mental health'
>    From: janet paterson <[log in to unmask]>
>    Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 08:56:09 -0400

hi all

for whatever it may be worth
i am now happier than i have ever been in my life

janet
on nothin but pd meds

Ecstasy 'damages mental health'

Wednesday, 11 July, 2001, 06:29 GMT 07:29 UK - Research due to be published
later in the summer will claim to have further evidence that regular
ecstasy users could seriously damage their long term
mental health.

Deaths linked to ecstasy are at a record high, with the rate of people
dying after taking the drug almost trebling so far this year.

But some experts are claiming these statistics mask another threat posed by
the drug to a far wider range of people.

The risk of dying after taking a tablet is one in a million - but the
chances of long term mental illness after regular use are thought to be
much higher. One in ten could be affected.

Dr Michael Morgan, of Sussex University, has carried out new research which
looks into serotonin levels in the brains of people who regularly take E.

Serotonin is the body's natural chemical which lifts a person's mood.

As a result of his studies, Dr Morgan says we need to completely
re-evaluate our understanding of ecstasy, which is regularly taken by
around half a million people in Britain.

"In the early nineties, it was thought of as a soft drug, analogous to
cannabis but we now know that ecstasy is one of the worst drugs in terms of
its long term harm potential.

"It is more neurotoxic to the serotonin system than any other drug we know,
and this kind of permanent brain damage is something you don't see with
other drugs.

"Ecstasy is one of the most pernicious and damaging drugs available - and
at the same time the second most popular drug in use. It's a major issue"

Anecdotal evidence may support Dr Morgan's findings.

We spoke to one ecstasy user who had taken ecstasy nearly every weekend for
six years from the age of 13.

She started to suffer panic attacks and severe depression.

"I would end up in casualty three times a week because I thought I was
dying - my mum had to sleep in my bed for a year. I was in and out of
counsellors and psychiatrists' offices, on and off anti-depressants.

"I had complete agoraphobia. I was just a mess - and couldn't manage to do
anything for over a year"

Her serotonin levels were measured and found to be two thirds below normal.

Her doctor linked this to her ecstasy use and told her she would have to
take medication for the rest of her life.

But despite stories like this, some are sceptical about Dr Morgan's research.

Matthew Southwell works for a charity called the Dance Drugs Alliance. It
aims to give clubbers accurate information about the substances some of
them take.

He said: "I've been taking ecstasy for 12 years.

"We're not seeing loads of people going into major depression, we're not
seeing people going down with the tremors -so where are all these people?

"If some experts are saying that in 20 years or 30 years time there may be
a problem - then let's have an open dialogue about it. For me the jury's
still out"

Dr Morgan's research though has set alarm bells ringing with other
scientists in Spain and Italy, who are also assessing the effects of
ecstasy use.

They and others are now calling on the EU to fund a three year study into
the drug. The serious side of the happy drug could be about to come under
its closest scrutiny yet.

Related to this story:
Ecstasy users damaging their memories (29 Mar 01 | Health)
Ecstasy 'relieves Parkinson's Disease' (14 Feb 01 | Health)
Ecstasy brain damage link (18 Dec 00 | Health)
Autopsy gives clues to Ecstasy effects (25 Jul 00 | Health)

Internet links:
Drugscope
Addaction

BBC News Online: Health
By the BBC's Julie Etchingham
http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/english/health/newsid_1432000/1432156.stm

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky .
pd: 54/41/37 cd: 54/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask] .
snail mail: 375 Country Street, Apt 301, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0 .