>    Subject: Re: Ecstasy for Parkinsons?
>    From: Jemima Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
>    Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:04:49 +0100

Hi Ron

I made a film on this subject for a BBC science programme transmitted in the
UK in February - and which has since been shown in Australia and elsewhere
but not the US.

Time Magazine (Europe) ran a tie-in article (Feb 19) which you should be
able to find at www.timeeurope.com - called "Ecstasy's Dividend".

Our film featured Tim, a 39-yr-old stuntman with PD who had discovered that
Ecstasy helped his dyskinesias. There was a secondary anti-PD effect (but
not a huge one - on its own the drug does not give him as much mobility as
sinemet), plus it seemed to extend his sinemet on-time. As far as I was
aware, Tim is the only person - worldwide - who has come out and admitted
Ecstasy helped him, so I am interested to hear of your friend - as would the
scientists now furthering research in this area - a top team at Manchester
University in the UK. (Who are working to develop a drug which is as good
but without MDMA's toxicity.) They are having some success.

Interesting, during the course of researching the film, I met a university
lecturer who had tremor (mild and not PD) who said Ecstasy smoothed him out.
But, as I and everyone else will say, taking Ecstasy is not recommended.

Ecstasy - or MDMA - works primarily via serotonin not dopamine, although
there is evidence that the drug could further damage dopamine neurons (and
hence hasted PD progress) which your friend should be aware of (as well, of
course, as the problems in getting a pure supply).

The "high" from Ecstasy is linked to the massive release of serotonin it
provokes, not dopamine. It might be that your friend no longer gets a high
because of depleted serotonin rather than dopamine - either because he takes
it too often or because he has low serotonin levels (a PD feature).

Please feel free to contact me direct if you'd like to talk further.

Finally - please don't be tempted to take MDMA yourself - it's dangerous -
and wait for the scientists to come up with something safer.

Jemima