>    Subject: MJF FOUNDATION - NOT A SCAM
>    From: Margaret Tuchman <[log in to unmask]>
>    Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 18:35:07 -0400
>    Comments: cc: Janet Paterson <[log in to unmask]>

Bob Fink wrote:

A number of us have been receiving e-mail from the "Michael
J. Fox
Foundation for Parkinson's Research" in Santa Rosa,
California.  Since
that is close to me, I called Directory Assistance looking
for their
telephone number, and no such number exists.

This further convinces me that this is a scam.  Please do
not send
them any money.

Best,

Bob

Hi Bob,

I also tried to find telephone number to go with Santa Rosa
street address.
The operator could not find a listing for Michael J Fox
Foundation but suggested
I try the 1-800-555-1212 info. operator and I got a working
number for MJFF: 800-708-7644.
This number takes you through a "response tree" that will
knock your socks off.

I spoke with Deborah Brooks, Executive Director of MJFF and
she said that:
1. the santa rosa street address is no longer valid, but the
2. when you call, 1-800-708-7644, the mailing address as
well as all
   the other options mentioned in the dormant auto reply is
correct
   and is directed to their NY office. You can even talk to
a real person.
3. and their feeling is that the "problem" with errant thank
you messages
           lays with Toronto.

I then called John Cottingham to tell him that the "sky is
falling" and he, very calmly
and with much authority, told me that we need not do
anything and the glitch(my word)
will "play itself out".

Meanwhile, the legit mailing address for the MJFF is:

The Michael J. Fox Foundation For Parkinson's Research
Grand Central Station
P.O. Box 4777
New York, NY 10163

or their offices at

381 Park Ave
Suite 820
New York, NY 10016

They do not have a Santa Rosa address!

The gremlins (the ones who make you a total fool by
miraculously fixing all electrical apparatus when you
finally get the repair person to come out) must have a hand
in all this.

Margaret