>    Subject: NEWS: Made-To-Order Stem Cells Spark Ethics Debate
>    From: Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
>    Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:58:01 -0700

WIRE: 07/11/2001 6:15 pm ET
Made-To-Order Stem Cells Spark Ethics Debate
By Deborah Zabarenko

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Embryonic stem cells created purely
for research from donated human sperm and eggs drew opposition
on Wednesday from some scientists who generally support this
research, and a key opponent called the practice "grotesque."

This latest development in the U.S. debate over federal funding
for research using these cells added fuel to the controversy that
is to be resolved soon by President Bush.

At issue is whether to approve federal research funds for work
with stem cells taken from excess embryos created through
in vitro fertilization that are already slated for disposal.

Wednesday's announcement by scientists at the privately
funded Jones Institute for Reproductive Research that they
had created embryos from volunteer donors of eggs and sperm
drew critical comment from a group of biomedical researchers
that firmly supports embryonic stem cell research.

"We think that that's an unnecessary approach, given the
availability of discarded materials from in vitro fertilization
procedures," said Sidney Golub, executive director of the
Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology,
which represents some 60,000 researchers.

Golub noted in a telephone interview that the group supports
guidelines set by the National Institutes of Health which forbid
the creation of embryos only for research.

Richard Doerflinger, of the U.S. Catholic Church's Secretariat
for Pro-Life Activities and a prime critic of embryonic stem cell
research, offered harsher criticism.

"Those who have become accustomed to destroying 'spare'
embryos for research now think nothing of taking the next
horrible step -- creating human life for the purpose of destroying
it," Doerflinger said in a statement.

Doerflinger said this "grotesque practice" would surely spread
if the U.S. government approves funds for embryonic stem cell
research. The Catholic Church opposes any research that
destroys embryos.

WHERE WILL STEM CELL RESEARCH LEAD?
Gene Tarne, a spokesman for Do No Harm, a coalition of
scientists, lawyers and others opposed to embryonic stem
cell research, had a similar dispute with the practice.
"This is indicative of the direction where this type of embryonic
stem cell research will lead," Tarne said by telephone.

Alta Charo, a professor of law and medical ethics at the
University of Wisconsin -- where scientists first isolated stem
cells from human embryos -- was more accepting.

"I think that the promise that scientific research offers
for the treatment of human disease, as well as the promise for
faster and safer development of pharmaceuticals suggests that
it should be pursued," Charo said by telephone, referring to
the Jones Institute research.

She said there could be scientific or therapeutic benefits
from using stem cells from embryos that are "so-called made to
order," and if this was the case, the interests of patients who
might be helped by the research takes precedence over the
interests of the embryos.

"We must consider the interests of the patients as paramount,
because the patients are sentient, they're aware, they're currently
suffering," Charo said. "And I think that has to take precedence
over the preservation of early forms of life that cannot be
self-aware, cannot suffer, cannot be disappointed."

Embryonic stem cells are early master cells that can develop
into a variety of cells in the human body, and may help
in the development of new treatments for such ailments as
diabetes, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.

SOURCE: ABC News / REUTERS
http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/US/reuters20010711_322.html

* * *