>    Subject: ARTICLE: KU doctors help pioneer procedure that stimulates
brain
>    From: Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
>    Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 23:24:25 -0700

The Topeka Capital-Journal
Last modified at 11:27 p.m. on Tuesday, July 10, 2001
KU doctors help pioneer procedure that stimulates brain
Neurological disorder:
Device has helped patients with Parkinson's and Essential Tremor
The Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- People have come from 42 states and as far
away as Kuwait for a surgery that two University of Kansas
surgeons helped pioneer.

It is called deep brain stimulation, and it has helped people who
couldn't walk or even feed themselves to regain those skills.

Candidates for the procedure suffer from Parkinson's or Essential
Tremor, two of the most common neurological movement disorders.
Combined, the two conditions afflict about 2 million Americans.

Dick Swindler, of Lawrence, who has Parkinson's disease, has
become a believer in the procedure.

The 56-year-old is doing things with his hands that he couldn't
imagine doing six years ago with the help of University of Kansas
Medical Center neurosurgeon Steven Wilkinson and neurologist
Rajesh Pahwa. The procedure included drilling a hole in Swindler's
brain and implanting an electrode to help calm his tremors and
involuntary muscle contractions.

His symptoms eased immediately.

The medical center -- the nation's leading center for deep brain
stimulation -- performed its 200th implant in May.

Swindler says the stimulators have given his life back.

"He actually looks and acts like the person I married again,"
Margie Swindler said.

Swindler's tremors were so violent before the surgery,
Margie Swindler said, that it wasn't a good idea to stand
next to him.

"We called it flapping," she said.

He also had episodes of dystonia, a condition in which his
muscles would involuntarily clench and his arms would twist
up like pretzels. His condition forced him to retire from teaching
after 28 years at Lawrence High School.

If he hadn't had the surgery when he did, Margie Swindler said,
he would be in a wheelchair or bedridden.

Instead, Swindler plays golf four days a week. He chases his
5-year-old grandson around the yard and takes him swimming.

During the procedure, the patient remains awake, though the
head is numbed so the surgeon can drill through the skull to
implant the electrode, Pahwa said. The patient is then put under
general anesthesia and a wire is implanted under the skin behind
the ear and linked to a small battery just under the collarbone.

The system, which also has been called a brain pacemaker,
delivers mild electrical stimulation to precisely targeted areas
deep within the brain. Continuous stimulation of those areas
seems to block the signals that cause the disabling motor
symptoms.

The technology for the procedure was developed by
Medtronic Inc., a medical technology company based in
Minneapolis.

Although the stimulators haven't worked for everyone,
the medical center has a respected history of performing
the procedure, Pahwa said.

"We have a team in place that's been together for seven
years now," he said.

SOURCE: The Topeka Capital-Journal/CJ Online
http://cjonline.com/stories/071101/new_kubrain.shtml

* * *