>    Subject: SUNDAY SOAPBOX: Which way do we go on stem-cell research?
>    From: Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
>    Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 23:45:28 -0700

SUNDAY SOAPBOX: Which way do we go on stem-cell research?

One of the most compelling questions in Washington, D.C.,
this summer is whether President George W. Bush will support
embryonic stem-cell research.

The specific issue is whether to fund experiments on cells taken
from human embryos.

Leading scientists contend this research has promise for combatting
such diseases as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and diabetes.

But opponents make a connection between stem cell research
and abortion.

Bush, an opponent of abortion, is faced with a divided Washington
which finds some conservative opponents of abortion supporting
stem-cell research.

Among them is Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, who cites the medical
potential of stem-cell research.

He says it is a pro-life position because of its goal of saving
human life.

But an Associated Press story quoted others who say it is not
pro-life to rely on an “industry of death.”

What do you think? Yes or no on federal funding of stem-cell
research? Why?

You will have the best opportunity of having your letter selected
if you keep it short, no more than 250 words.

Please send us your letter by  July 17.  Those selected will be
published on July 22.

Sign your letter and please include your daytime phone number.

Send it by mail to Letters, the Evansville Courier & Press,
P.O Box 268, Evansville, Ind. 47702.

Send it by e-mail to [log in to unmask]
or by fax to 422-8196.

SOURCE: Evansville Courier & Press