>    Subject: Re: smoking and pd
>    From: Edith Love <[log in to unmask]>
>    Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:27:45 -0700

Good morning, Everyone,

I'm responding to a letter(below)that arrived this morning.

Martha, your interest and concern re smoking and how it factors into the PD
pie is, to me, legitimate, and worth consideration. Frankly, it, plus a
number of other
relevant subjects, such as family relations and more detailed sections on
diet, demographics, as well as areas set aside for comments, were in the
pages removed
from the survey.

We were/are really serious about this survey, and Mario and Marco(until he
became ill)will verify that the posts flew for a few days while we made our
final
decisions. We wanted participation and support, and we knew we'd lose it if
the survey became too extensive. The hope was, and still is, that if this
survey is
successful, and Marco can do it, Part B will eventually follow.

For now, it would seem to me that we can keep up with the "smoking"
research by way of Murray Charters, PIEN, and Dr. Lieberman, NPF. Both of
these
gentlemen are not only caring, they are wonderfully resourcefu!

Again we thank you not only for your participation but for the time you
took to respond. Way to go, Martha! Please keep in touch. We need all the
support we can
get!

In friendship and caring,
E of the headdress
P.S. Is there some way we can share the survey with the support group? You
know me and my search for everyone's opportunity to have a voice!

Dear Edith & Mario,

I mentioned to Edith after I sent the survey in that I was surprised it
didn't ask about smoking. Since it has such a horrible effect on other
aspects of
our health, I thought it would be a factor.

However, I have also heard that smoking has a preventive effect on PD.
Well, I smoked for 45 years (I am 65), and about 10 months after I quit, I
started having my first PD symptoms.

I just met another woman, much younger than I, who had the same experience.
Is this an area worth looking into? I wouldn't for the world
recommend that anybody take up smoking, and I would never start again, but
there might be something to nicotine.

I am also sending you an article which appeared in the Peninsula
Parkinson's Support Group newsletter about nicotine patches and speech. (my
speech is bad and I have been trying the patches)

Thank you for listening, and for the great work you are doing!

Sincerely,
Martha Terry

PS You have my permission to use this letter in any way you may wish.

<<<<